Why Do Samples Work But Not Full Products for My Stoma?

Replies
Views
winded
May 28, 2018 6:57 pm

I keep trying samples, they seem to work so I order them and then they don't. Constant leakage. I have a 1 inch protruding stoma and am wondering if I should be using a convex pouch? I currently use a ring barrier, skin barrier and one piece drainable flat pouch.

Bill
May 29, 2018 5:50 am

Hello winded. Sorry to hear that you are still having leakage problems even after trying different samples. Most people manage to find something that works for them after a bit of experimentation. Unfortunately, we are not a 'one-size-fits-all' species and it is not financially viable for manufacturers to be making bespoke equipment for each one of us. If none of the off-the-shelf stuff works, then we are left with making and adapting stuff ourselves to suit our own needs.  I've been experimenting since day one of my stoma and, with regard to leakages, I have found that the best solution for me is home-made baseplates with two differing length holding belts (top and bottom). I've made all manner of baseplates from all sorts of materials but the ones which suit me best have been plastic ones, (approx. 6cmx10cm) cut from 5 gallon containers for day use and one gallon containers for nighttime. (the plastic from these containers are different thicknesses). I cut the necessary holes and shape them to suit my needs, then I stick the proprietry flanges onto the plastic so that it's only my own device that touches my skin. I use two piece, drainable sensura bags from coloplast because they are easy to clean and change.

To keep my plastic baseplates from sliding about, I use a spray-on medical adhesive, which I find is more effective than the stuff on the appliances, yet it is less abrasive to my skin.  It all took a long time and a lot of experimentation to find things that worked properly for me and I still make minor alterations when they occur to me (like the method of attaching the belts to the baseplates so that it only releases when I want it to).

The main disadvantage of DIY is that it doesn't always go to plan when I am first experimenting. However, eventually I end up with something that suits me and I find that the bags and sleeves can last upwards of a month or two because they are not being taken on and off the skin in the same way that they were originally designed to do.

If you want to give the DIY a go yourself, just message me and I'll share some of my failures as well as pointers to successes so that you don't necessarily need to go through the process of failing in the early phases yourself.

Best wishes

Bill  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

STOMAKID
May 29, 2018 1:03 pm

I have just had a reversal, having had a bag for 18 months. Had leaks at beginning but found that "brava Strips" virtually solved problem. Very few leaks when using them.

winded
May 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write your response and the great DIY idea. I would love to know more about it.