Silent Observer: A Heartfelt Thank You to This Community

Replies
Views
7dragonflies.hm
Sep 19, 2023 8:29 pm

Hello all of you magnificently beautiful people. I've been reading the forums and posts for months now and I just want to say what a bunch of awesome folks y'all are. I had emergency surgery in April of this year, diverticulitis, perforated colon, septic, adhesions galore, almost died, had to have a total hysterectomy as well as sigmoidectomy, hence the good ol' bag. I can honestly say it has changed me as a person, as you all can relate. In the midst of it all, my fiancé left me and my sweet amazing grandma passed away. Life has not been good to me this year. You all have done wonders for me though, like you wouldn't believe and I want to hug you all.

Cplumber
Sep 19, 2023 8:42 pm

Sorry for your losses.

I will be praying for you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DexieB
Sep 19, 2023 8:43 pm

Hello, I am also new here and feel truly blessed to have found this amazing group of people. I had emergency surgery on May 28th and, like you, almost died. I have been humbled beyond belief by the kindness I've been shown during this dark period in my life. I am sorry you've gone through so much this year... seems like it comes in 3's! May you find peace and healing in the coming months. Hugs!

7dragonflies.hm
Sep 19, 2023 8:47 pm
Reply to Cplumber

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your prayers, to God be the glory.

7dragonflies.hm
Sep 19, 2023 8:50 pm
Reply to DexieB

It's amazing how humbling this can be. I work in healthcare and I cared before, but now it's different. I'm glad you made it. So scary when you think about it. The people on here just may be earth angels. We can serve as witnesses through our turmoil. Hugs to you.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mysterious Mose
Sep 19, 2023 8:59 pm

I am sorry to hear about your tribulations. I can identify with the sepsis and near-death experience. Every day since has been especially blessed. The addition of an ostomy is a change for all of us. The important thing is to not let it be something that pulls you down. I suppose that is easier for me to say at 75 than it is for someone as young as you are. But there are people here that have lived with an ostomy since their teens and 20s. They have continued to live full lives. Hang in there. Life is richness.

Daniel

Axl
Sep 19, 2023 11:16 pm

Hi 7

I hope it is all blue skies for you now after those unpleasant experiences, look after yourself.

Axl

14jax71
Sep 20, 2023 12:28 am

I'm sorry for what you went through and are going through. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope the sun is starting to shine through for you.

Mark

Beachboy
Sep 20, 2023 1:08 am

Hello 7dragonflies!

You've been through a lot. And reading about your fiance and Grandma made me sad.

Wishing you good health and a full recovery.

Dan

infinitycastle52777
Sep 20, 2023 1:36 am

Boy, you really do have a lot on your plate. Please take it easy and allow yourself some time to heal (physically and emotionally). This group of people is amazing, I agree. I always come here when I need advice or want an opinion. Come to the people who actually understand, I say. Hope you will feel more like posting about yourself in the future.

Lee

ron in mich
Sep 20, 2023 1:16 pm

Hi Seven and welcome to the site. Sorry for the loss of loved ones. Like others said, take time to heal whether young or old. Eat foods that make you happy.

AlexT
Sep 20, 2023 2:19 pm

Sorry for the loss of your grandmother. Learn the 7 rules of life and your whole outlook on life changes, especially after being sick like most of us have been. The sun is shining, go enjoy it. 🌞

IGGIE
Sep 20, 2023 2:25 pm
Reply to 7dragonflies.hm

Big hug back to you. Keep strong. Regards, IGGIE x

Caz67
Sep 20, 2023 2:37 pm

Welcome to the wonderful site. We are all on the same journey but with slight variations. XX

7dragonflies.hm
Sep 20, 2023 6:57 pm

I just signed in and saw your messages. Literally brought me to tears. In a weird way, I feel like I know you all. Probably from reading your posts before, but just seem familiar. I feel special getting responses from all of you. You are each very, very special people.

A little good news finally...I had a zoom appointment with my surgeon who has agreed to the takedown. He said he will try to do laparoscopically but won't know until I'm on the table. Either way, I'm okay with it. I've already got the zipper down my abdomen anyway. He told me if there's a lot of inflammation still, he may do a loop ileostomy for more healing for about 2 months. Wants me to do an abdominal/pelvic CT scan about a week before. This will be Oct 10, and surgery scheduled for Oct 19. I'm praying for the best and thanking the good Lord so far. I'll say this though...even after that happens, I'd like to stay on here with you all. ❤️

Mysterious Mose
Sep 20, 2023 7:06 pm
Reply to 7dragonflies.hm

Great news! My own reversal is scheduled for 10 October. So, we are close in time. I am also hoping mine can be done laparoscopically. I should be out of the hospital and reporting on my progress by the time you are in for yours. Good fortune to you and I hope we both do well. :-)

Daniel

7dragonflies.hm
Sep 20, 2023 8:30 pm

Daniel, that's fantastic! And I do pray for the both of us, all of us, takedown or not. I've read your story and it sounds like you went through a lot. I'm glad you're still here. Please keep me posted, I'll be thinking about you on 10/10!!

Mysterious Mose
Sep 20, 2023 9:10 pm

Thanks, 7. I would not be entirely truthful if I said I wasn't a bit apprehensive. A reversal after a colectomy + ileostomy does come with its own issues. I have been trying to be proactive in dealing with them.

I am sure we will both be fine. I may be a cynic, but I am an optimistic one. :-)

Daniel

7dragonflies.hm
Sep 21, 2023 1:53 am

I'm a bit nervous myself, truth be told. But one thing I can say. We peeps of this group are strong, perhaps stronger than most. There's a reason for what we've been through and we keep on keepin' on. ;)

A good night to all, friends.

sunburst
Sep 25, 2023 2:58 pm

((( ))) Sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

We are all blessed with a new lease on life - just remember - no one in the entire universe deserves your love more than yourself - stay focused on finding joy in each moment.

Love and hugs

stinelin1
Sep 25, 2023 5:00 pm

I had a series of what I had looked at as negative events over the last few months and found myself recently venting to a neighbor in the middle of our cul-de-sac with an amazing pity party. A few minutes after I returned inside, something popped up on my phone screen. It read: When we are in Christ, when it seems everything is falling apart it is most likely just falling into place! I was completely stopped in my tracks. I said a silent prayer, called my neighbor to apologize for my rant (she was an angel) and completely changed my view that day! Everything is in control!

Jayne
Sep 25, 2023 7:36 pm
Reply to AlexT

The 7 rules of life?

Perhaps you would like to post these for all of us?

Thank you.

Best wishes to everyone

Jayne

Mysterious Mose
Sep 25, 2023 9:00 pm
Reply to Jayne

1. Make peace with your past so it won't mess with your present.
2. Time heals almost everything, give it time.
3. Don't compare your life to others and don't judge them.
4. Ignore them. Don't listen to what other people think of you.
5. Let it go. Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad day.
6. Don't give up. If it doesn't work the first time, find another way.
7. Avoid negativity. Avoid negative thoughts, situations, and people.

Beachboy
Sep 26, 2023 12:12 am

I'd like to add:

Maintain faith.

I used to have faith in myself only. But after my recent medical adventure and gifted with a colostomy, I now have faith in God.

7dragonflies.hm
Sep 26, 2023 1:45 am
Reply to Beachboy

And perhaps Beachboy, that alone was the reason for what you went through. Congratulations! I am a believer and I know the angels rejoiced with your faith.

Mysterious Mose
Sep 26, 2023 3:42 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Yes. I fully understand how this can cause people to turn to their god. Being a non-theist, that is really not part of my repertoire. :-)

Daniel

7dragonflies.hm
Sep 26, 2023 7:09 pm
Reply to stinelin1

Stinelin1, your message stopped me in my tracks. Thank you. 100% I believe that. I just have to remember to remind myself sometimes. Thank you for the reminder!!

7dragonflies.hm
Sep 26, 2023 7:14 pm
Reply to sunburst

Thank you Sunburst and you're right. Funny you use the word 'joy', I've used that particular word in my prayers lately. 🤗❤️

Beachboy
Sep 27, 2023 2:11 am

Hey M. Mose,

I always enjoy your thoughtful posts.

Faith is interesting. I'm a scientific type of guy. For most everything: I want proof. I need facts. "Talk" is cheap, prove it to me. All my previous surgeries, chemo, radiation treatments... Piece of cake. But this last hospital adventure... that got my attention. I couldn't catch a break. I got sicker and sicker... intense pain. Doctors unsuccessfully trying to figure out what was wrong. And worse of all, offering me little hope for recovery.

In the midst of it all, I had enough. Couldn't take it anymore. I asked God to please help me. Yeah, Mr. logical me. And in the end, I survived due to many amazing things that "went my way." I'm surprised I'm fully recovered. My medical team was amazed I survived. So in the end what I'm left with.. is faith. And I work at it every day.

Hoping your upcoming reversal is successful.

Mysterious Mose
Sep 27, 2023 5:23 pm

I am fully on board with individual faith. I have lots of it. I just am not on board with theism. My faith is in the cycle of life. Major influences in my life have been people like Alan Watts and Krishnamurti, as well as my best friend who has lived his life according to Zen principles. They are to blame for me avoiding stepping on bugs during my daily walk. And there have been lots of them soaking up heat from the morning sun. :-))

Daniel