Can anyone answer this question

Replies
Views
Frenchie55
Mar 07, 2011 7:34 pm
Hi all,

I have an ileostomy and to change my appliance as well as emptying it, I sit on a stool facing the toilet, that way there, there are no mishaps.  It works for me, anyway.  

Frenchie
Bill
Jul 12, 2011 5:35 pm
Hello

chess124,

I guess everyone is different and it may well depend on what is wrong. For my part I made it clear from the start that I intended to irrigate. This was only allowed after 6 weeks from surgery. ( My daughter tells me that in New Zealand the stoma nurse recommended that irrigation only started after 6 months.- so who is right ?)  My stoma nurse came round at six weeks to the day to see that I had all the gear and was able to complete the process in an appropriate fashion. It surprised me a little that she put her finger right in the stoma (with a glove on) and twisted it around to find out which way it went so that I could get the cone in the appropriate position to let the water flow freely.

My logic would say that if she could stick her finger in that far and explore the stoma, then some sort of a plug wouldn't come amiss. What about an irrigation cone? it should be easy enough to block off the end and they are at least made for the job. However, I would concur with what other people have said and discuss something like this with your stoma nurse first.

As far as I can tell, many of the things that are now manufactured were invented and tested by ordinary people trying to manage their condition more satisfactorily. Personally I like to experiment and I simply accept the consequences if things don't go entirely according to plan. My general guiding principle with experimentation and inventions is 'common-sense'.

If it looks as if it will work 'on-paper' then I'll design something for myself that 'might' work.  One guy on this site posted that he found cold water shrunk his stoma and that stopped output until it started to warm up again. This was enough time to change a bag. I tried this and it did work for me in those first six weeks before irrigation.

Anyway I did like reading your post and I hope you find a solution to all you problems as they arise.

Best wishes

Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Jul 12, 2011 6:26 pm
Ooooh Bill,

Quote ... "My general guiding principle with experimentation and inventions is 'common-sense'."

A man after my own heart - "horse sense", "if it aint broke, don't fix it", put in a little elbow grease, logical, rational, don't spend more than you earn, if you can't afford it don't buy it"...

I didn't know anyone thought that way any more.  

Aside note on economic growth - Is just resting in place ever an option? Can we ever just pause and evaluate?

Stoma stuff - I have read about plugs and other innovative, creative options.  Not in USA.

One of my personal standby phrases - "if it hurts stop doing it."

I had begun to wonder if common sense had been removed from global thinking.  I look forward to more posts from you.  Carol 'dawneagle'
Past Member
Jul 12, 2011 8:53 pm
To irrigate, you have to insert the cone shaped ending into the stoma. So it is done, but with lubricant.
MarkP
Jul 13, 2011 3:38 am
I have been told not to put any thing in an ileostomy but colostomy can. After saying this I had an infection and the urologist subscribed a suppository, my first comment was I have no bowel so that wont work, reply is we will use your stoma. There are a lot of issues with this I will post it elsewhere one day if asked but it can be done. but I still wouldn't put anything else in there.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Opa Ray
Oct 04, 2011 11:01 pm
When changing and after removing the old pouch I take a cleanex, lightly sqeeze around the stoma to draw  all the poo out. Works fine for me.  Opa Ray
mooza
Oct 05, 2011 7:41 am
please leave it alone darlz no touchy no no no xxxxxxxx

Login to see image

Login to see image

CrudeOiL53
Nov 22, 2012 10:52 pm
I irrigate my stoma on a weekely basis. I wear a one piece appliance from Coloplast (Assura #15879) and I have figured out a way that I can do my irrigating through my bag, without removing it. After I have finished irrigating and wait approximately a hour or two I can then remove my appliance, take my shower, clean my stoma area good and even let it air dry and perhaps give the surrounding skin time to breath before applying my new appliance without ever having to worry about getting any output from my stoma during this time. Sometimes I will even irrigate about a hour before i go to bed and then take my shower in the morning and change my appliance at that time without having any issues.