Gloves or No Gloves for Ostomy Bag Changes?

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus
May 29, 2024 12:57 am
Reply to bobwilson5999

I used to use the old version by Convatec, which was Sensi-Care, but I did not like the change to the Essenta. The Essenta does not seem to get all my adhesive off, and I get too much buildup. I have a Durahesive baseplate, and it is a struggle getting it all off. For now, I'm stuck with my Smith and Nephew, but I don't like the fragrance in it. It does get the adhesive off. Sometimes, every now and then, I will use alcohol just to really get things cleaned up, but not often. I'm still doing the no-glove thing since the other day but have not used adhesive remover because I'm afraid for my eczema. I'm using soapy paper towels to get it off and washing really well in the shower. Seeing how this goes.

w30bob
May 29, 2024 2:16 am

Wow, you guys are really overthinking this whole glove thing. I just use two fingers on both hands to squeeze every last drop out of my bag, roll it up and close the Velcro flap... and then let my dog lick my fingers.

What's that look for? She eats horse poop, goat poop, duck poop, chicken poop, and cat poop... it's not like she doesn't like it or know what she's doing.

Admit it... you don't know if I'm serious or not, do you?

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

kittybou
May 29, 2024 3:03 am
Reply to w30bob

Nope, don't know if you're kidding or not, but it sure made me giggle! 😂 🤭

Andrew82
May 29, 2024 7:18 pm

I'm in the no gloves camp. Never have. I just thoroughly wash my hands. But I also can usually empty and change with no contact to stool at this point.

aTraveler
May 30, 2024 10:21 am

I do use gloves. I have severe nerve damage in my hands from an auto accident neck injury. Washing my hands is very painful, so I reserve it for washing my face in the morning and showering.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
JD
May 30, 2024 4:20 pm

Ileostomy for a year, now colostomy.

Bag changes - no gloves

Empty bag - no gloves with one exception:

I carry a couple of gloves with two more gloves and some paper towels stuffed inside each in case I find myself somewhere without real bathrooms that have soap and water - hiking/trail running, events with only porta potties, parks, etc. Don't need it very often but nice to have. Also, I carry a very small folding shovel when hiking so I can bury everything.

Beachboy
May 30, 2024 4:38 pm
Reply to w30bob

My cat is chuckling.

B@tLady
May 31, 2024 2:19 pm

Hibiscus, my hands are often cracked and dry despite care and regularly sport a band-aid somewhere. I have used nitrile gloves in the kitchen forever to use while prepping meats, especially chicken, and discard the gloves. I now keep a supply in the bathroom as well for when I empty or remove the bag. I get you about the expense. We have a job lot market nearby that sells the gloves at a discount, which does help. Because I'm gloving up multiple times daily, I save money by using a wipe on gloves or washing gloved hands with soap and water, then folding gloves into a cotton washcloth to use next time. I get about three days' use out of a pair of gloves before they need to be tossed. I'm not a germophobe by any means, but old nurses never die; they just glove up ;-)) Even when my hands are clear, I feel better-safe-than-sorry and still use gloves.

B@tLady
May 31, 2024 2:34 pm
Reply to Andrew82

I thought I had the technique for burping and emptying down pat. Until that one time... glad I had my gloves on for when Vesuvius erupted with vigor!  

B@tLady
May 31, 2024 2:44 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

What are the gloves you were using made of? If they're vinyl or nitrile, it would be unlikely you're reacting to them. For the eczema, here's a product worth trying. It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way. And there are coupons available with an online search. If you hesitate to take a stranger's recommendation, consider sharing the link with your dermatologist to have their review. https://www.marinskincare.com/

B@tLady
May 31, 2024 2:50 pm
Reply to DebinRI

Have you tried Brava Adhesive Remover spray? It seems to work well to loosen my barrier ring enough to remove it without tearing my skin. I follow up with a remover wipe to get the odd bits but was told by my ostomy care nurse that it's better to leave the stubborn bits than to risk breaking the skin by trying to pick it all off.

Mysterious Mose
May 31, 2024 3:14 pm
Reply to kittybou

Thanks for the tip on the baby shampoo, Kittybou. I couldn't find the particular one you use, but I picked up a cheap Kroger store brand and it is an improvement over the SoftSoap Milk & Honey I had been using.

Daniel

dmo101
May 31, 2024 7:31 pm

No to gloves. Never thought of wearing them.

Hisbiscus
May 31, 2024 9:41 pm
Reply to B@tLady

Thank you for that. I'm going to look into it. I've used both nitrile and vinyl, but the best for me are latex, though hard to find and when I do find them, they are expensive. I've found that the latex does not stick to your skin underneath. I feel like I have a coating on my hands after using nitrile or vinyl.

I think you might be right about the gloves making my hands worse, at least in some cases. I was using them for cleaning and everything, but I'm backing off.

I've found in the past few days that I still need them for changes due to the adhesive remover. It got me. Cracks on my hands already.

I'm going to look into that link you put there.

Beth22
Jun 02, 2024 1:48 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

I buy gloves in bulk on Amazon. I get 1000 a month for 38 bucks. They are nitrile, but I don't have a problem with anything left on my hands from the gloves. I only use gloves to empty, not when I change my bag.

B@tLady
Jun 03, 2024 1:32 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

I actually said if you are using vinyl or nitrile, it would be unlikely that the gloves would be causing the problem. Latex sensitivity is far more common.

Hisbiscus
Jun 03, 2024 11:30 am
Reply to Beth22

I get mine on Amazon too. 1000 nitrile for $30. I look for the cheapest at the time. Sometimes they play with the prices. I think it has a factor of how the gloves are stored before shipping. Hot/cold or what they are stored with.

Hisbiscus
Jun 03, 2024 11:31 am
Reply to B@tLady

I know, and for some reason, the latex does me better. I guess I'm a strange bird.

Hisbiscus
Jun 03, 2024 11:33 am
Reply to B@tLady

Brava adhesive remover. I'm allergic, I think. I get irritation with it.

Beth22
Jun 03, 2024 12:11 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

I do think they play with the prices, I agree. Every month I get the same thing from the same company, and every month the price is different by a couple of bucks. And as far as the allergy you have, you're not the only weird duck in the pond, lol. I am allergic to weird things too, no worries. You use what you know works for you and doesn't cause irritation.

Happy-but-Newbie
Jun 05, 2024 2:48 pm

Same as most, wash my hands well before and after...

Hisbiscus
Jun 06, 2024 3:22 am
Reply to Beth22

Once, I got a bundle that tore my hands up. I suspected it was the gloves, so I went back to look at the reviews, and most of the bad reviews mentioned their hands were all torn up. The gloves even smelled like strong chemicals, the same thing I experienced.

They gave me my money back plus $100, so I don't order that brand anymore.

I really do love latex. They can handle the adhesive removers, they are not sticky feeling, and are so comfortable, but they are really hard to find because most people are allergic. When I do find them, they are so expensive.

Beth22
Jun 07, 2024 3:38 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

Yeah, I am allergic to latex and literally a million other things, such as soaps, lotions, perfumes, shampoos, certain hair sprays, and about 15 different allergies to medications and tapes. Also, the powder supposed to be used around the stoma, and the list goes on. My point was, I completely understand where you're coming from with what works and doesn't work for you, and having a reaction to certain things that to others might seem odd. I swim in the pool of odd allergies, lol. I wish I could point you in the direction of which and where to buy. Keep digging and search medical supply websites too; you will end up finding what you need.

AlexT
Jun 07, 2024 5:08 am
Reply to Happy-but-Newbie

Did you all wash your hands? 😬😁

Hisbiscus
Jun 10, 2024 12:03 am
Reply to Beth22

I'm the same with soaps, shampoos, etc. I like Vanicream shampoo as it has no smell at all. I used to use Dove Sensitive for my body, but they changed ingredients and it bothers my skin. So yes, you get it about the scents and allergies. It sucks. I never got this until I got older.

I still buy on Amazon; I just have to watch the vendors and read the bad reviews first. I always find something.

I've purchased from Web Restaurant Store and other vendors, but they can never get them to me in time.

Do they have you on one of those shots yet? They had me on Nucala for my allergic asthma, and it really helped my allergies and fragrance issues. I'm hoping to go back on it soon.

Beth22
Jun 13, 2024 2:47 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

Hey there,

No, I am not on any allergy shot or medication. I have always been this way since I was little. I just avoid the things my skin is allergic to.

JOSHWILRYAN
Jun 19, 2024 11:41 pm

Started out using gloves and now I don't.

kayakkaren941
Jun 22, 2024 3:49 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

In the middle of the night, that's the last thing I want. However, I've been clumsy my entire life. Now that I'm older, it's even worse.

MsPriss
Aug 25, 2024 3:01 am
Reply to B@tLady

So I tried a Brava barrier ring for the first time last time I changed (took it off today). Previously, I was just using the flat baseplate, but I was given the barrier ring as samples, and they sent some with my insurance order.

Normally, the baseplate just peels right off with no or very little residue. This barrier ring WOULD NOT come off. I had to go get the sample of Brava adhesive remover spray to get it off of me! It was a nightmare. I change in the shower, I was all wet, it was weird. 

I got out of the shower, after using the spray adhesive remover, then washing with soap and a washcloth, and then rinsing thoroughly, that there was STILL adhesive residue on me! So I got some adhesive remover wipes that I also got a sample of, and it finally came off. 

I did not use a barrier ring again with the new bag, 1) because it smelled bad, and 2) because it was so hard to get off. Just the straight baseplate was working for me, so I am going back to that. 

RE: gloves.

In the hospital, I was slightly offended that the nurses all wore gloves when they messed with my bag and showed me how to do my bag - but they didn't offer me any. That being said, after emptying it myself, I realized they were not needed. I have gotten my left index finger soiled a couple of times emptying, but just a wee bit, and I wipe it off on paper and finish what I'm doing, then wash my hands. We do keep nitrile gloves on hand at all times, use them for the dishes. My husband got an infection in his cuticle after washing dishes without gloves - we get them from Costco, and it's worth it to keep you from getting nasty sink stuff in small breaks in the hands you can't see. That being said, I don't think it's worth it for changing the bag. I do my changes in the shower primarily, so wash as I go.