Adjusting to Life Without My Husband's Help with My Bag

Replies
Views
warrior
Oct 06, 2024 11:15 pm
Reply to Lyaz2005

Hi, this reply goes to someone else, not me. Have to keep an eye on who to reply to. I think whoever the intended person was knows it's for them.

On a different note, you have 2 bags, both for pooping? That is the first I have ever heard of that.

If you don't mind explaining why you have two, I'd be very interested, as others would be too, in hearing the reason and logic behind this situation.

Thanks.

warrior
Oct 06, 2024 11:20 pm
Reply to Silveradokid

Perception...indeed. I see...very good take on this...a new angle.

More points for driving a Chevy...kiddo. 😃

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

bustr
Oct 06, 2024 11:24 pm
Reply to lorgriffini683

I am so very grateful to have had help too. Allowing others to help and care for us is just as important as being independent. Both are good for healing. Enjoy the love and be patient with yourself.♥️ 

GraceFalls
Oct 07, 2024 12:03 am
Reply to Silver21

Ask him if he wants to see you as you are now. Thinking he does.

Share your new life with him. You really have no choice if your marriage is to continue.

GraceFalls
Oct 07, 2024 12:07 am
Reply to bustr

I am in Buford. If I can help, let me know.

Ostomy was August 2023.

Scheduled for reversal in February 2024. No go.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
GraceFalls
Oct 07, 2024 12:10 am
Reply to waingap

When home, I don't hide my pouch.

It works better if nothing is constricting it. Hubby knows, thinks nothing of it.

So grateful for my Hubby.

GraceFalls
Oct 07, 2024 12:12 am
Reply to xxxltd

Sounds like you are an Engineer!

SunflwrConcepts
Oct 07, 2024 12:59 am
Reply to HenryM

My hubby is my caregiver, per se. I was leaking all the time when I first had my ostomy. I had lost 120 pounds on my own, 3 years before I was told an ostomy would make life easier. I also have a lot of excess skin. The KU Ostomy team showed my hubby how to change my Rosie. My hands are not able to change it by myself. For me, this has turned out to be a great option. I cannot stand to be changed; laying flat allows me to pull the extra skin taut to get that perfect seal. We change me every 7 days. He is my caregiver, of sorts.

June Bug
Oct 07, 2024 4:20 am
Reply to HenryM

Indeed, you cannot have him doing such a thing for you. That is, you truly need to learn how to do it. I myself hate doing it (newbie) and it takes me 35 minutes since I clean that pouch to no end. When I finish, the ordeal looks like a new pouch. But that is me. Maybe I might be wrong, but you might be dependent on your husband in other things. Doing things by yourself will bring you a lot of self-confidence.

Ladybug

lynnecollins34
Oct 07, 2024 12:48 pm
Reply to lorgriffini683

Good luck with the 12 weeks. I think my doctor told me that to give me hope because I was totally devastated after getting my colonoscopy. I had mine in February, and after several tests and pelvic floor therapy, if I pass that first test again, possibly in November, I will get it, but everybody's different. My biggest problem was that I was constipated all the time, and then my colon twisted. I ended up having to get 23 inches removed in emergency surgery. If you do get it reversed, there is an amazing video about things to help you after your reversal. I'm not even sure where I found it, but it gives you tips and pointers on what you may need. I have already stocked up, but I'm sure God will let me know when the time is right.

lorgriffini683
Oct 07, 2024 1:21 pm
Reply to lynnecollins34

I should know more this day 2 weeks. I didn't have any bowel disease; I had a piece of endometriosis which wasn't large enough to infiltrate the bowel wall, so from what I know, not much had to be taken, so hopefully that works in my favor for a quick reversal.

doryns
Oct 07, 2024 10:24 pm

My husband passed, and now I have to take care of everything, but it's really not too bad, getting used to it. It could be worse. Dee

honeygirl
Oct 10, 2024 1:17 pm

It is challenging in the beginning, to say the least. I would like to suggest a two-piece bag. Apply the ring to the flange, place it over your stoma, and then attach the bag.  Press gently over the baseplate for a bit to ensure a good seal and there you have it!  Stay strong and determined and you will get the hang of it.  Good luck!