Irrigation Issues: Seeking Advice on Technique and Pressure Problems

Replies
Views
Past Member
Feb 02, 2022 10:16 pm

I recently started to practice irrigation. Unfortunately my confidence in (local) ostomy nurses is less than ideal. Because of this I am mostly learning by trial and error.... The error has not been pretty. My first and main issue issue I seem to run into is having my bag and internal water pressures level out early in the process. I often get less than 5 ml in and the flow neutralizes. I often have to release the pressure and continue 3 or 4 times in a session. Is this normal? I do raise the water bag, as well as turn it on full flow. Sometimes that causes discomfort and I don't believe that's normal.

Overall irrigation has been a small game changer for me. Just a few bugs to work out. Hopefully some new friends can help me out.

mild_mannered_super_hero
Feb 03, 2022 12:35 am

Check your mail 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

andyd
Feb 08, 2022 3:54 pm

Irrigation can be a tricky act, especially for beginners. From my experience....sometimes that stoma muscle will befuddle you...plain and simple. Learning to relax your abdominal muscles may help. When I "feel" my stoma is "tense" and water not going in, I sit back and attempt to relax those muscles. Start with some simple breathing and get your mind off the task. With practise, ( a lot) you can feel your muscles relax and chances are your stoma wil do the same.   Try some music, drink some water, clear your mind.  

I have a stomal hernia, so sometimes it just doesn't work, no matter what I do. If nothing happens within 10 minutes, I leave the bathroom, drink more water and walk around to help "peristalis" get moving. I may jiggle my abdomen, bend over multiple times, climb the stairs....things that help those muscles in the intestine to work. 

Check the water temp in your irrigation bag, mine is warm, slightly above skin temp if I can get it there

If all else fails, try again later and maybe try adjusting the cones position. Sometimes I will just let the water flow nto my stoma and massage the cone in and out. Sometimes some hard stool is the culprit and it blocks any movement. This may help lubricate it out. Drink more water, fluid is essential.

I also started eating oatmeal and yogurt to help with fiber and softening stool.

Hope one of my tips help

Andy