Ostomy Memories Thinks About Thinking

Replies
Views
HenryM
May 05, 2022 7:45 am

SOMETIMES WE THINK TOO MUCH; sometimes we don’t think enough; sometimes thought itself is like an unfamiliar phenomenon to be shunned at all costs.  I tend to spiral off into indecision when I over-intellectualize something and find myself tied in irresolute knots.  Should I, or shouldn’t I?  Do I need it, or can I do without it?  Is it worth it, or not?  Some activities carry inherent risks that would give significant pause to a clever man, but a dummy would not only try it, but succeed.  It makes you think that our brains are compartmentalized into ‘things I can do’ and ‘things I can’t do.’  I watched a guy fix my car once, something I could never do, like he was born for such work, but he’ll never read a book and can’t pronounce words with more than three syllables.  It makes you wonder what’s really important in life.  A familiar cliché of our time is the entreaty to ‘think outside the box.’  I take it to be a plea for creative thinking, but I’d be more comfortable with the prospect if, for starters, I could count on there being thinking going on INSIDE the box.  Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum.  (I think that I think, therefor I think that I am.)

Past Member
May 05, 2022 9:22 am

I am guilty of overthinking at times. So I started practicing mindfulness to quiet my overactive mind. Stay in the moment.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,872 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe
May 05, 2022 11:48 am

Loved this, Sally! Wonder if there is an Overthinkers Anonymous Club. Probably not, they would never get anything done!

Going to go have a cookie now

Past Member
May 05, 2022 12:00 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

LOL, we need that club! Cookies are good anytime! Or are they? Hmmm.

HenryM
May 05, 2022 12:09 pm
Reply to Anonymous

You need to start a My Favorite Cookie game, Sally.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member
May 05, 2022 12:15 pm
Reply to HenryM

What a good idea, Henry! I'm all over it!

Justbreathe
May 05, 2022 4:51 pm
Reply to Anonymous

I don't know, I'll have to overthink about that!

Past Member
May 05, 2022 4:52 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

TerryLT
May 05, 2022 7:47 pm

Yes, count me in as a member of the "Overthinker's Club"! I know I've wasted a lot of time in life thinking, instead of just doing. Some of that time, I should have been sleeping!

By the way, I have been "thinking" of doing this for a long time, so I will take this opportunity! Henry, you are a treasure, and I want you to know that your little daily "squibs", as you call them, are always much appreciated by me and I'm sure many, many others. I know you put a lot of thought into them, and it does not go wasted. You always have something to say that is interesting, thought-provoking, clever, often funny, and smart. I look forward to reading them every day, and I don't take for granted the effort you put into them. So, thanks Henry. Keep being you.

Terry

Past Member
May 06, 2022 9:13 am
Reply to TerryLT

Yes, thank you Henry!