Severe Stoma Area Pain After Dinner: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
berket13
May 29, 2022 9:02 pm

Hello recently i've been suffering from severe pain around the stoma area and can't figure out what is causing it.

It seems to only happen late after having dinner then progressively gets worst into the night. By the morning its all gone.

During a recent CT scan they saw inflammation of the small bowel, the terminating portion of it. But doctors can not give me an answer to what is causing the pain.

I usually have to take two Tylenols to get some relief. One nurse suggested it could be an infection.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks

Past Member
May 30, 2022 1:57 am

I have not experienced this and have no idea what it could be. I just want to wish you good luck with everything.  Hopefully another member will know. 🌻

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

HenryM
May 30, 2022 8:16 am

I can only guess, so you can't take this to the bank.  I'm struck by you saying that it only happens "after having dinner."  If there is in fact a relationship there, I wonder (a) what are you eating? (b) how much are you eating? (c) are you chewing your food sufficiently? (d) are you drinking liquid with your meal? (e) what are you drinking? (f) what are you doing following the meal?  What you are describing sounds like a clogging leading up to the stoma but, again I stress, I'm just guessing based on having had an ileostomy all my adult life.  I'm not a doctor and I can't provide medical advice.  Perhaps someone else on here has had an experience with a stool softener; I haven't.  Finally, it you have been able to deal with the discomfort with only two Tylenol, I'm wondering how bad it is.  My experience with Tylenol is that it doesn't much lessen the pain of a stubbed toe.  But for others it may be okay.  I hope you're able to come to grips with this in a satisfactory way.  Stay well.  HenryM