Managing Mucus with a Colostomy: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Rosebud960
Oct 02, 2022 8:02 pm

Hello everyone. My colostomy is in the right upper quadrant of my abdomen. Part of my descending colon had to be removed due to the first stoma becoming necrotic. I am able to have my colostomy reversed if I choose, but I choose not to for reasons that I won't get into right now. I've had my colostomy for nine years. I have trouble getting the mucus out of my rectum. I get the urge to bear down, but nothing ever comes out. I've tried glycerin suppositories, but I can't hold them in very long, and I feel that I'm probably going to have to go back to the surgeon and have them digitally remove the mucus that's in my lower bowel. I really don't want to do that, but I'm wondering if anybody else has any suggestions that can help me rid the mucus from my bowel more easily.

Marco789
Oct 03, 2022 6:25 pm

It is possible that you have PRS. Please take a few minutes to read this:

https://www.shieldhealthcare.com/community/ostomylife/2020/08/12/phantom-rectum-syndrome/

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

margollrich
Oct 04, 2022 5:09 am

I have the same problem, and it's real mucus. My sphincter muscle stays tightly shut, and the bits of mucus dry out and form hard lumps, which can vary from uncomfortable to very painful. Also, they are very difficult to remove.

I am new here and came on because I saw the post about sex and stoma and haven't stopped laughing since.

Marco789
Oct 04, 2022 9:53 am
Reply to margollrich

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with your mucus... I suppose I can't relate since mine comes out in buckets. If there were a use for it, I'd bottle it up and sell it 😂

Perhaps irrigation would help, but I would definitely first talk to my GI or surgeon about it. I wish you the best! :)