Stoma itching - Any tips for using stoma powder without adhesion problems?

Replies
Views
tmn68
Oct 03, 2022 4:43 pm

I have really healthy skin around my stoma, but it itches like crazy!! I have been told to use stoma powder, but I'm afraid of adhesion problems. I always worry about the ring/barrier sticking with the powder.
Does anyone else have this issue?

AlexT
Oct 03, 2022 5:24 pm

Sometimes, but not like the whole area under the wafer/ring. I'm not sure what Stoma Powder would do for the itching, never heard of it being used for that. The thing with using Stoma Powder is to put some on and then blow/shake or however you wanna do it to get any excess off. You shouldn't have globs of powder on. I have 1 spot on the underside of my stoma where I have a dip (pretty fitting for me) that I always put powder on and then I use the powder bottle itself to blow/puff off the extra. Then, I just apply my ring/wafer. I don't use any barrier wipes as Hollister doesn't recommend them unless your skin is actually irritated.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Ben38
Oct 03, 2022 6:48 pm

You only use a small amount of powder so it won't affect the adhesive.

I'm no expert, but I think you would be better off getting samples of something else to see if using a different make of bag stops the itching.

TerryLT
Oct 03, 2022 8:53 pm

Are you sure it's really the skin around your stoma that is causing the itching? I itch frequently, but what I've discovered is that this will happen often just when my stoma is being active. It isn't really itching, just a sensation that imitates itching, and it's not unpleasant. I don't feel the need to scratch. I have never heard of stoma powder being used to stop itching, but I'd agree with the others, if you use it, use it very sparingly. It also seems weird that your skin would itch, if it's otherwise completely healthy. Maybe it's something in the material of the flange that you are using? Have you used different products and still felt the same itching?

Terry

ron in mich
Oct 04, 2022 1:40 pm

Hi TM, do you shave around your stoma? Because as your stoma is working and moving, maybe the hairs are being pulled if stuck to the wafer.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Bob 48
Feb 28, 2023 8:22 am

I had the same sensation you're describing but my skin was getting irritated and I think that was causing it. I tried barrier rings and they helped. I believe I was having some seepage under my wafer causing the itching feeling in my case. Maybe reaction to adhesive? I use powder and skin barrier spray but make sure it's completely dry before installing wafer when my skin gets irritated but that's not all the time now.