Struggling with Iron Absorption Due to Ileostomy

Replies
Views
don'tworryboutathing
Mar 06, 2023 4:05 am

I have difficulty absorbing enough iron. I get an infusion every four or so months. Does anyone have a tried and true method for taking in iron? I have an ileostomy. (I lost my entire colon and then 12 more feet of small intestine to cancer.)

honeygirl
Mar 13, 2023 12:30 pm

As crazy as this sounds, whenever I am/was iron deficient, I would eat Shreddies cereal for breakfast, lunch, or as a snack. It was an easy (and delicious) way for me to increase my iron levels.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mom2Sons
Mar 14, 2023 1:46 am

I take an iron supplement but also take vitamin C to help absorb the iron. Also, I take Ferrous Gluconate (the iron supplement) instead of Ferrous Sulfate because my gastroenterologist told me that I would not be able to absorb the Ferrous Sulfate as easily having an ileostomy. Hope this info helps.