Seeking advice on colostomy and stoma experiences

Replies
Views
roe.tina77
Oct 13, 2022 12:47 pm

Hi. I have a colostomy as I was diagnosed with rectal cancer. I've finished chemo and have just received an appointment for a colostomy. I am so, so nervous about it. What is anyone's experience having this? So, with a stoma?

ron in mich
Oct 13, 2022 1:01 pm

Hi Roe, it's a piece of cake, no pain at all as the stoma has low sensory nerves. The no eating for 24 hours was the hard part and only clear liquids.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Delsol93
Oct 13, 2022 1:34 pm

Good question. I'm having one on 11/1 in prep for my potential reversal. Good luck! Agree, not looking forward to not eating the day before.

Past Member
Oct 13, 2022 3:38 pm

I can't even remember mine, so it must have gone really well.

patrickrichardson1946
Oct 14, 2022 5:14 am

I had one recently with no problems. I did not have any sedation as I was driving myself to the hospital and had the Entonox, which I think is air and oxygen. Though I did not use this a lot as I was talking to the guy doing the procedure.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Crystal_Zephyr
Oct 19, 2022 10:22 pm

I hope you have/have had luck with your colonoscopy, Roe! When I have had mine done with my colostomy, they were easy, but the day before was the hard part - diarrhea in a bag! When it starts flowing (if they have to do prep beforehand, like GoLytely or the other option), just make sure to empty it really often to avoid leaks! (Putting on a new bag with diarrhea is no fun, as everyone knows!) The procedure itself is easy though, you'll be surprised at how quick that puppy goes by with a stoma. Best of luck to you, and if you already have had it by the time of this reply, hope it went well. Didn't mean to just pipe in to state the obvious - just wanted to give you some peace of mind that it's easier than them putting it up your bum!

Ali