Wheelchair User Seeking Advice on Colostomy Bag Leakage

Replies
Views
Hwheels73
Oct 28, 2022 11:23 am

Hi, my name's Adam. I'm new to this site, so I'm not sure if I'm even posting in the right place. I am a full-time wheelchair user and have had my colostomy for just over a year. I currently use the Salts Confidence BE Drainable Standard Soft Convex Bag. I have a skin divot and only get about four transfers in a day, then there is a good chance the bag will leak. Has anyone got any suggestions on a better bag? Thanks, Adam.

eefyjig
Oct 28, 2022 12:39 pm

Hi Hwheels, if your skin divot is near your stoma, you might try Hollister convex barrier rings. They're convex just like the convex barrier on a bag. I use them along with my convex Hollister bag, and they seem to fill in the dips around my stoma. The photo shows the round ones, but they have oval ones too, and are malleable.

Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Meadow Snow
Oct 28, 2022 12:52 pm

Hi Adam, to piggyback off what eefyjig said, I use barrier rings from Eakin, and I find they really help me when I combine them with my convex bags. If you wanted to stick with everything being the same brand, Salts do barrier rings as well. If you decide to try barrier rings, you might want to experiment with different thicknesses of rings, and get a few samples from all the different sorts that Salts offer.

Do you have regular contact with a stoma nurse at the hospital? Failing that, your supplier should have stoma nurses to talk to - at least, my supplier does; my supplier is Respond Healthcare.

Dharms
Oct 28, 2022 9:57 pm

Hi

I have used many barrier rings/seals around my stoma for leakages. Some did not suit my skin or did not stop leaks - don't give up trying as there are lots of products out there!

Currently using Brava Protective Seal which has helped with leaks and is okay for my skin.

You can order free samples from the Coloplast website - worth a try!

Good luck!

Login to see image