Cycling with an Ileostomy - Do You Need a Support Belt?

Replies
Views
helelou2206
May 23, 2024 2:51 pm

Daft question... Are you able to cycle with an ileostomy, or do you need to wear a support belt?

IGGIE
May 23, 2024 2:58 pm

Better to cycle with a bike. Regards, IGGIE

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
May 23, 2024 3:40 pm

For 8 years as an ileo, I have worn a mounting belt and wrap.

I never take the mounting plate belt off. Whatever I do, it's on. Shower, sleep, work on cars, motorcycling.

It is a good habit to wear it all the time. Others will disagree.

But without some support and you being active, you're just asking for trouble without it.

Bob 48
May 23, 2024 3:44 pm

I cycle 4 to 6 days a week and wear an Ostomy Secrets wrap. I think any similar wrap or belt would work just as well. I carry some supplies in a backpack or bike bag in case of any mishap but haven't needed them yet.

Bees
May 23, 2024 3:48 pm
Reply to warrior

What is a mounting plate belt?

Wrap I got, but the other? I'm guessing I know it by another name, maybe.

Thanks.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Ben38
May 23, 2024 3:50 pm

It's a personal choice. There's no harm in wearing one if you want to. Even if you do wear a support belt for riding a bike or all the time, make sure you do core exercises. It's the most important thing all of us can do in the fight against trying to prevent hernias in the future. I've always done core exercises and didn't develop a hernia until 30 years after surgery, so I was very lucky.

xnine
May 23, 2024 4:33 pm

Bicycle or motorcycle? 🏍️ There are belts for motorcycle riders, but they may need to be modified to fit the stoma. I ride without a belt.

warrior
May 23, 2024 9:07 pm
Reply to Bees

Oh yeah. Various names for the same thing. Wafer, ring, mounting plate.

This is the thing that attaches to your stomach. With a barrier ring first, then this mounting plate or flange. It has 4 loops that the belt hooks into, 2 on each side. The belt is about 1 inch wide. Plastic hooks on the end, fully adjustable.

The appliance is called Senuri Mio Flip. It's a starfish design instead of square. Your bag attaches to the plate-flange and there is a ring that locks into the grooves. Real sweet system.

2 pieces. I think they also call it a wafer. To me, it's a mounting plate for the barrier ring plus bag. It's plastic.

Hope I described it well. Terms can trip one up.

warrior
May 23, 2024 9:10 pm
Reply to xnine

Nah. Motorcycling with what I normally use is fine by me. Don't need anything special fitted.

The problem actually is sitting like that for hours... and of course sweating in traffic.

Of course, the type of motorcycle could be an issue.

Mine is touring. So you sit as you would in a chair.

Do you ride?

infinitycastle52777
May 23, 2024 11:00 pm

I cycle at the gym and I don't wear any support belt, but when I was doing weights, I did have a support belt. I love cycling. Now that I have 3 hernias, I can't do anything that uses core muscles, so all I can do is cycle or walk the track.

helelou2206
May 23, 2024 11:51 pm
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Thank you, sorry to hear about your hernias x

helelou2206
May 23, 2024 11:52 pm
Reply to warrior

No, I don't. My apologies, but I meant cycling, not motorcycling.

warrior
May 24, 2024 2:52 am
Reply to helelou2206

No worries. I think I aimed that question at Xnine though. This site design is confusing. Hard to follow.

xnine
May 24, 2024 3:10 am
Reply to warrior

Suzuki 650 Boulevard. Did not put many miles on it last year, and wife does not like riding on it. Time to sell it.

ltapilot
May 24, 2024 3:19 am

I bicycle pretty much every day, usually 15-20 miles a day. I'm primarily a roadie, which may change things, but I don't usually wear any sort of support belt. My jersey and bib shorts provide plenty of support for the bag as it fills, and I haven't had any issues with it coming loose. I've ridden both with and without a belt, but I personally find it more comfortable without, even though I wear a belt nearly all the time otherwise.

If I were mountain biking, I might be more inclined to wear a hernia belt. I haven't been out in the mountains since my surgery, though, so I can't really speak to that.

Beachboy
May 24, 2024 8:06 am

I'm getting my mountain bike ready. I haven't ridden it in 10 years... too much work interfered.

I plan on riding the beach boardwalk only. Riding in traffic is too dangerous, beach scenery is much better.

I'm concerned riding will affect my hernia. Sure don't want the damn thing to grow. I plan on wearing my thin, elastic Hollister bag retention belt. I have some nice wider Nu-Hope belts... but they will probably be uncomfortable on long rides. Also, I'm gonna get a wider cushioned seat for my geezer butt.

warrior
May 24, 2024 8:57 am
Reply to xnine

Sweet ride. Yeah, I get the selling now. Priorities... but it's also getting pretty dangerous to ride out there nowadays.

Driver distraction. Phones. Etc.

Should get a good price on it with low miles.

I have a Honda Shadow 1100.

Not too quick, but loud.

ron in mich
May 24, 2024 11:58 am
Reply to warrior

Hi Warrior and Xnine, you guys make me jealous with your bikes. I've had everything from a 50cc moped up to a 1000cc Harley and have ridden one of the fastest production bikes, a 500cc triple Kawasaki. But now my wife says those days are over, and it's just a bicycle from now on.

warrior
May 24, 2024 1:44 pm
Reply to ron in mich

Hi Ron... I feel your pain.

Priorities win.

Most days, riding today is a death wish. I am always concerned about that other driver not paying attention. There's no more fun or enjoyment, it seems, in riding.

Keep the wife, sell the bike. 😁

rlevineia
May 26, 2024 3:05 pm
Reply to Bees

Bees, I was confused, too. I believe it's the skinny belt that attaches to the loops on the side of your wafer. Wraps are more comfortable. Spent last Sept. in Kalispell & Babb. LOVE Glacier NP

Login to see image

Login to see image

tonybrown777
May 26, 2024 6:34 pm

Meant to wear a belt at most times; otherwise, end up with a large pro hernia like me.

Cylingpilot
May 26, 2024 6:54 pm

I log close to 100 miles per week road cycling and don't wear a belt—only good-quality cycling shorts.

kbd
May 26, 2024 8:17 pm

I always wear an ostomy belt, except when sleeping. Around the house I wear a 1" ostomy belt. When exercising, I wear a 4" belt. You don't have to, but you have a hole in your stomach, and I have avoided a hernia by wearing belts for years.

Xlshrimp
May 27, 2024 3:15 pm
Reply to kbd

What kind of product do you use that has a 4” belt available? Thanks

I used to have a couple of motorcycles, but the injuries started, and I had to switch hobbies to motor-boating. Sure glad I did, and a lot of fun too.

R1Kirby
Jun 22, 2024 10:56 pm

I use a stealth belt and really like the support on my pouch. It was the best thing I did.

Beachboy
Jun 23, 2024 6:10 am
Reply to Xlshrimp

Nu-Hope Corporation, Pacoima, Calif. USA

Has 3 and 4 inch wide hernia support belts. I use both width belts all the time. The 4 inch belt has a prolapse strap to gently flatten a protruding stoma. I use the 4 inch when I go out to dinner or a special event like a wedding.

I use the 3 inch for bicycle riding, working around the house, and gardening.

I have a medium peristomal hernia.

The belts are high quality and comfortable.