Managing Sweat Around My Stoma with a Urostomy Pouch

Replies
Views
Queenslander
Oct 30, 2022 5:11 am

Hi there. I'm new to MaO. I happened to stumble across the site while searching for tips on managing sweat around my stoma, causing the appliance to deteriorate at the most inconvenient of times. I use a Urostomy one-piece Sensura Mio pouch as I find it the easiest for me to use. I've tried using deodorant; however, the appliance won't stick to the skin. Hoping there may be some ideas out there. Thanks, Queenlander.

AlexT
Oct 30, 2022 2:22 pm

🤔 I sweat a lot during the summer and have never had an issue with my pouch coming loose, not sure why yours would be.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

l24jacobs
Oct 31, 2022 6:01 pm

I apply my appliance as follows:

Calamine lotion to the skin. Let dry.

Hydrocolloid seal.

Eakin seal.

Seal off both with hydrocolloid extending tape.

Apply the wafer.

Seal off wafer with additional hydrocolloid tapes.

Apply pouch.

I also have applied soft gauze pads sealed off with hydrocolloid tape.

One caution: Hydrocolloid tapes are excellent, but you cannot shower with them on.

If I see any sweat heading towards the appliance, I dry it then apply more hydrocolloid tape to seal the area.

It sounds like you do not have an airtight seal around the appliance.

This is why I apply the hydrocolloid tapes to ensure the appliance is airtight.

I have a stoma capable of pushing off a wafer and pouch, so I must securely tape the appliance on in layers.

Hydrocolloid tapes should be covered by your insurance.