Seeking Advice - Needing a Reliable Appliance for Active Lifestyle

Replies
Views
writerman
Feb 04, 2023 5:26 am

This is what I need to solve. I have been using Hollister 3238 appliances for many years. Recently, within the time period of three years, the seal method the factory uses has changed. When I used to get two days' use out of one appliance application, I can no longer do this. If I put on a fresh appliance at night at eight o'clock, for instance, by morning it is leaking. I wash and clean with hot water, thoroughly dry the area, and then apply the appliance. I always follow instructions. Mine is a complete colectomy. Where the appliance leaks is always in the same place, between the seal and the plastic of the appliance, where apparently the heat of my body simply lifts the seal away from the plastic. I am very active, probably more active than most users. I run, exercise, work, and walk the dog. I was told this should not matter to the length of use by my ostomy nurse. My ostomy nurse also tells me people always get four days' use out of each application, which for me has never happened and is ludicrous. I need an eight to nine-inch appliance, one-piece system only, with or without belting system, for a 1 1/8 opening. I need instructions for use, and to have one application last at least two days. I am told there are systems out there that can do this. I am trying to find that system. Do you know of any products at all that would fit this bill? I am neither concave nor convex, my stoma area is flat, and my stoma itself extends off my right side about an inch. I was told by my ostomy nurse it was a 'picture-perfect' stoma, and should be able to accommodate an appliance not leaking perfectly. And yet here I am. This situation is very distressing. Can you help? Thanks.

AlexT
Feb 04, 2023 6:00 am

I use Hollister #8371 for my bag. It's a 1-piece drainable. I also use a Hollister/Adapt barrier ring #7805. I get 4 days easily. My stoma is 44mm or roughly 1.7 inches.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Feb 04, 2023 7:13 am

I would also add you may want to consider some sort of belt to help support the weight of your bag as you're active, especially when running. I could see the up/down motion of running as a source of your bag loosening and possibly being a cause for a leak. Just something to consider. Have a good one.

eefyjig
Feb 04, 2023 2:26 pm

Hi writerman, have you changed your soap or moisturizer? What do you mean by "the seal method changed?" The ingredients? I'm curious how you discovered this since I use Hollister products, too. You may want to try a different bag and barrier ring. I use #8962 along with their convex barrier rings and I need to change every other day because I get leakage under my barrier ring. I'm very active, too, and would love to find a good belt. I need my bag to hang down for my ileostomy so the contents follow gravity and most belts lie horizontally. Alex, do you know of any good vertically lying belts?

AlexT
Feb 04, 2023 3:24 pm
Reply to eefyjig

Do you want the belt to also hold the bag, or just put pressure around the ring? The vertical StealthBelt (I have one) is the only one I know that holds your bag. If you just want to put pressure around your ring, there is the NU-Hope belt, the Movi Brace belt, along with some others.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
eefyjig
Feb 04, 2023 5:19 pm
Reply to AlexT

Just pressure around the ring. I will look into these - thanks!

Poopsie
Feb 06, 2023 3:10 pm

It's hard to tell, but I'm wondering if the 3238, with the attached seal, is an older design. It might be time to try a newer model. If you call the Hollister customer line, they can probably recommend a comparable product for you. One downside is that without the attached seal, you might have to use paste or an Eakin ring under the flange. It's not a big deal; it's a pretty standard technique.