Blood in My Stool (Continent Ileostomy)

Replies
Views
CalifContinentIleostomy
May 17, 2024 10:30 pm

I've had a continent ileostomy (BCIR) for 22 years (I'm 76 years old). I decided on this option after having a failed J-pouch. In general, it has worked very well for me. I have experienced blood in my stool several times, the last time in February. By the time my GI doc could scope my pouch and do an upper GI exam, the bleeding had stopped. He never found a cause. I am currently experiencing significant bleeding and the soonest I can have my pouch examined is 5 days from now. I am searching for any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

eefyjig
May 18, 2024 3:08 am

Hi CCI, I have a permanent ostomy, not a BCIR, but I did have severe bleeding five years ago. It was determined that I had an ulcer in my small intestine at a spot where two pieces of intestine were surgically attached during one of my surgeries. Oxygen and blood flow were limited to that area and it started to bleed. It took three tries with endoclips during that month and a blood transfusion, but it finally stopped bleeding and I haven't had it since. The ulcer remains, however. Are you having pain?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.