Hernia Belt Irritation and Slippage Issues

Replies
Views
gary4760789
Aug 05, 2024 8:37 pm

Hi all,

I have recently been given a hernia support belt which has given me great confidence. However, I have noticed that it presses on my stoma and irritates the area around it.

I have loosened the Velcro and given plenty of space around the area, but it still feels uncomfortable.

I have an issue with the belt moving down when walking. I have tried wearing two T-shirts to try and prevent movement of the belt and support it.

I love the way it supports but don't like the irritation.

Anyone have a similar experience and how do you deal with it?

Replies are greatly appreciated.

Jenpen1
Aug 05, 2024 9:11 pm

Hi there, I was fortunate to purchase a custom-made hernia belt out of Montreal, Canada. It is made specifically for your measurements and has a hole in it to accommodate your ostomy! I can send it if it was approximately 300.00 Canadian dollars.

Penny

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Aug 06, 2024 12:10 am

I have a colostomy, for about 18 months. I had the same problem when I began wearing hernia support belts. The skin around my stoma would be irritated from being pushed down. I have a medium parastomal hernia.

I tried different belts, a looser belt fit. Finally settled on this:

I cut the hole in the wafer bigger than normal. I form a moldable barrier ring around the stoma, where the skin and stoma meet. Then I put on the wafer. This takes the compressive belt load away from the stoma/skin interface, and puts it on skin about 1/8 (.125) of an inch away from the stoma.

This works well for me. No irritation, even when I wear a belt all day, and get active: riding my bike or walking long distances.

After a week, when I take the used wafer off, my stoma base looks funny, like the side of a volcano. After several minutes, it flattens out. But my skin looks great.

I use 2-inch diameter, 1/16-inch thick Brava moldable rings and Nu-Hope 3 and 4-inch wide hernia support belts.

Login to see image

Login to see image
Wafer with a larger than needed hole. And a barrier ring ready to be molded around the stoma base.

Jenpen1
Aug 06, 2024 12:21 am
Reply to Beachboy

That doesn't seem like a fix. Do you have access to an ostomy nurse? I'd recommend you seek it out through your urologist!

Beachboy
Aug 06, 2024 12:49 am
Reply to Jenpen1

Actually, it does work for me. Increasing the wafer hole diameter takes the pressure away from the stoma/skin area and puts it farther away on the skin. I can get away with it because I have a colostomy with thicker, well-formed output. So, I don't get any leaks around the stoma.

In the beginning, belt pressure was exerted right down on the base of my stoma because I cut the hole with minimal clearance.

Cutting the hole so I had generous clearance worked well. And my skin is happy.

Not for everyone... but it works for me. My Urologist deals with my prostate cancer. 😉

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
gary4760789
Aug 06, 2024 6:06 am
Reply to Beachboy

Many thanks

Axl
Aug 06, 2024 9:11 am
Reply to gary4760789

Ebay offers many cheap options.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/225826689034?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=h8_km732tnq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=k2KQVyscQBq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

gary4760789
Aug 09, 2024 6:44 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Thanks for your help. I have tried cutting the wafer hole wider, which did help and ease the irritation.

I will try to experiment with this option because I think you may be onto something.

Many thanks and sending you lots of thanks and good wishes.