Persistent Stomach Pain After Colostomy Surgery

Replies
Views
Grammybec
Jul 31, 2010 8:24 pm
I had Colostomy surgery March 27, 2010 and still have pain in my stomach area, when I cough, yawn, or sneeze...it feels like I have been exercising and my stomach muscles are sore.  Do any of you remember having this after surgery and how long did it take to go away? It doesn't bother me as I move around, just when I cough, sneeze or yawn.
Past Member
Aug 01, 2010 2:42 am
It will take some time. You must remember, the muscle mass that was severed to gain access to you gut. It was major. You may forever have little twinges.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

J.J.
Aug 01, 2010 2:45 am
Hello there..I had my colostomy surgery May 7th, 2010. I had similar pain in the lower part of my abdomen when I came home..just an achy feeling..then it went away but, did resurface when I held my 16 pound nephew a few weeks ago.. dumn idea I know..but he is too cute! anyway after a few days it went away..I have quite a long incision as to having to have a total hysterectomy at the same time..if the pain continues I would contact your surgeon and maybe make an appointment to see him or your regular physician! Sorry I couldnt be of much help.. hope you feel better soon!!

take care,

J.J
Pinky
Aug 01, 2010 4:35 am
Hi y'all - I had my colostomy surgery 18 months ago and I still have lots and lots of painful twinges especially in the incision area (that incision has been used 4 times, though!)  Anyway, a great way to lessen those is to wear support, either a hernia belt like those by Nu-Hope or other support like Comfizz from the UK or belly band (for pregnant women) at Target.  Most men seem to like the hernia belts better.  I wear mine when walking or if I know I'm going to be lifting more than about 5 pounds!  

Login to see image

Marines1967
Aug 01, 2010 3:56 pm
Hello,  I had my colostomy surgery on 21 March 2003. Seven years later I don't have any pain but have twinges when I go to bed. Good luck my friend.  

Marines1967

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play