Stoma Area Hair Removal Tips to Reduce Irritation

Replies
Views
boss
Sep 01, 2010 1:40 am
Has anyone got any easy ideas for removing the hair near stoma area. I've been getting irratation lately.
weewee
Sep 01, 2010 8:53 am
i shave it and use my sissors for the real close ones
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

bearcat
Sep 01, 2010 1:09 pm
don't laugh, but i use a lady's bikini shaver, looks like a minature hockey stick and get them in the shaving dept of any drug store wal-mart walgreens CVS, target, etc, comes in a three pack usually. it's a straight blade so you have to watch what your doing cause that little stoma will bleed like a stuck pig
Past Member
Sep 01, 2010 3:40 pm
I use the cheap "throw away" razors, mostly in shower when Flange is off. For my Colostomy, I have also used powder around area, when I am not in shower, and use same razor. Otherwise I use my electric shaver in areas not to close to stoma.
crocus
Sep 01, 2010 9:10 pm
Well i wont tell you to use imacc a ladies hair removal cream i told my husband to use it before a vasectomy god lol his balls were sore !

It was really funny lol not for him tho

Crocus

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
junopete
Sep 02, 2010 1:28 am
What WEEWEE, says is right on.  

Use a razor for as close as you can get.  I used to use these tiny little curved scissors.  You can get the scissors either sharp tipped or blunt.  I like the sharp tipped myself.

I think they are made for cuticle use.  The curved blades makes them perfect for getting close to the skin and not cutting yourself.

Sometimes right next to the stoma I would find some very long hair.  They seemed to be hard to see at times.  I found by taking the time and getting every hair shaved clean or clipped around the stoma.

I had almost no to none seepage under the seal.

The enzyimes will try and follow the hair that is under the seal and irritate the skin.

good luck

Rick.....
lexus1
Sep 04, 2010 1:03 am
I wonder if electralisis would be an option?
romo123
Sep 07, 2010 5:27 am
I have found that the easiest way to remove hair from around the stoma is just using my razor !!
romo123
Sep 07, 2010 5:32 am
Those ' little scissors ' with the urved ponts that you are talking about are actually made for cutting a stoma pouch to the right size..of course once the stoma has settled down after the initial operation the pouches will be ordered cut to size from your supplier..