Newbie on the lighter side

Replies
Views
bagr
Dec 20, 2010 4:18 pm
Hi I'm Mike and have had my colostomy for 6 months now. I have a habit of making the best out of a bad situation with a little humor. I thought I would share some things I have figured out and that have happened to me since I became an ostomate.

I'll explain my forum name 1st. I ride an old Harley Tour Glide which is known as a full dresser or in biker slang a bagger. My vanity plates for it is BAGR. Now I am one. All I need to do is paint it brown....not

I wear a 2 piece drainable pouch. I think now I know where the terms taking a dump and pinching a loaf came from.

I have learned it's not about getting poop on you, it's about how much poop you get on you.

I was joking around at work and the Tool Pusher said you are an @sshole. I told him technically he couldn't call me that since I don't have one anymore. I also told him I would have to look at the rule book to see if I could hang out with an @sshole like him.

I was talking with the Company Rep., whose mother in law is an ostomate. I might have been pulling his leg a little or leading him on. Out of the blue he looked at me and said you need to go dump your bag because you are full of sh!t. I almost fell over I was laughing so hard.

So has anyone else found humor in their life as an ostomate? I think that laughter has some healing properties.

Sorry for the long post Mike
Past Member
Dec 20, 2010 5:39 pm

This is awesome.

Actually, you don't need an a#$hole to be @sshole. it's like a perk...

Nice!

Oh, and that was not a long post. and i'll be a year this coming february.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

ron in mich
Dec 20, 2010 5:59 pm
hi bagr what a great sense of humor, by the way are you from urinal utah.  ha ha  ron in mich.
lottagelady
Dec 20, 2010 8:18 pm
Hi BagR (sorry, Mike!)  and welcome to the madhouse - humour definitely helps!

Login to see image

Rach xxx
bagr
Dec 21, 2010 5:06 am
Yes I'm from Urinal/Vernerial UT. I've been there since 1980. It was nice living there during my Radiation/Chemo as they run a free van back and forth to Salt Lake City everyday.  On the lighter side again.

When I went in to talk to surgeon he told me in a serious tone, if you wake up and the bag is on your right side it is temporary. If you wake up and it is on your left side get used to it as it is permanent. I told him I really didn't give a sh!t as long as I woke up. This even made him laugh. Even though that remark probably helped him in his decision to do a permanent colostomy. He figured with my job my quality of life would be better this way. He said otherwise it might have been accidents and Depends. When it comes down to Depends vs a bag I would have picked the bag also.

As I was told on another forum: Better a plastic bag then a pine box.

Thanks Mike

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Past Member
Dec 21, 2010 2:28 pm

Yes. I came up with "I had a choice: live with cancer, or live".

Before i went out for surgery at work, the big boss was asking me about my surgery, i give him some details and conclude with "a permanent ostomy".

Boss: That's a pain in the ass.

Me: Not anymore!

He missed it.
May34
Dec 21, 2010 7:13 pm
Great sense of humor. I had a colostomy 2 years ago and like you said better a bag than a pine box. Thanks for making me laugh, there are days when I could cry but people like you make life worth living.
Tiggy
Dec 21, 2010 9:53 pm
Haha Mike! I actually laughed aloud (at work) whilst reading this thread. That was a great post; your humor and lightheartedness obviously serve you well, and I suspect these attributes to be contagious.

After my husband had his colon removed two years ago, it was love and humor that got us through, without question. It's SO important to be able to laugh at yourself, whether you are an ostomate, or a more "conventional pooper", as I am.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome post, and hope to see you around the forums more often!

Login to see image

bigtrev
Dec 21, 2010 11:15 pm
Hi bagr

I can beat that! My stoma is lower abdomen left hand side. A mate of mine once commented - "God if you were gay, you'ld be real handy!" Big Trev  N.Ireland
budd002
Dec 22, 2010 12:43 am
Hi Mike,

I had my Illeostomy operation in 1997 and had no clue what this dam thing was hanging off my stomach. Since I was still very much so under the effects of the anesthesia, my best friend and her future husband were right there waiting for me to open my eyes. Seeing as they keep hospitals rather warm and it was February, I was feeling rather hot and upon opening my eyes and checking out my new friend, I turned to Daryl and asked in a very serious tone "What do you guys do when your bag gets sweaty? cuz mine is really sweaty and I'm new to this sort of thing"

Needless to say after they both stopped laughing they realized I was going to be just fine!

Sharry
wookie2005
Dec 22, 2010 4:02 am
LOL Bagr i have said this one a few times to people who say im im an asshole or if they tell me im full of shit, i feel my bag and reply nah not just yet.... =)

I was joking around at work and the Tool Pusher said you are an @sshole. I told him technically he couldn't call me that since I don't have one anymore. I also told him I would have to look at the rule book to see if I could hang out with an @sshole like him.
beatrice
Dec 24, 2010 5:32 pm
You're a keeper, bagr

Login to see image

!  I needed a laugh this morning and got it!

All the best to you and I look forward to 'reading you' in the New Year.

Cheers,

Beatrice
bagr
Dec 25, 2010 5:19 am
I almost forgot this one. I had a friend ask me how I was handling my Ostomy. I told him OK, now I can go to prison and not worry about dropping the soap. Not that I have ever been in prison or plan to go but you have to find the positive in any negative. He was laughing and asked me how I came up with that. I told him I was watching some prison show on TV and it just hit me.