To my fellow ostomates

Replies
Views
weewee
Jan 17, 2011 12:06 pm
the question today is who here has a jack lalanne juicer and who has the montel williams health master? i have the juicer and like it why i am asking is the montel healthmaster keeps all the stuff that the juicer throws away some of our vitamins and nuterants are thrown out also so was wounder if anyone has had any problems with the pulp thanks for input why am asking is the doctors think that my hirshsprung and being a colostomy in interfering with my nervers and i am not getting enough vitamins since i digest really fast and thingsdont stay in long enough with the juicer you body recieves all way faster then just eating fruit vegies are not part of diet my stomach and body cant diegest them fast enough so i get full of air and well you know the rest lol what fibers and nuterents i get i have research alot into my fruits and finding out that i can replace them

thanks all for the help and hope this helps mnay other out there
Katman
Jan 17, 2011 2:00 pm
Before becoming "gutless" I couldn't eat much of anything due to several severe strictures.  I had been using a juicer to try and keep up on my vitamins.  Worked fairly well I thought... not too many troubles.  I also had issues with most veggies... Trabsit times could often be counted within 2 hours... or less!

Since my surgery (ileo) I have been very cautious of blockages.  My wife got a Vitmix (like a healthmaster) and we love it.  Besides being relatively easy, you get all the vitamins and less chance of blockage. Things still move throughat an incredible clip, but there is more chance for my body to absorb stuff.  I'm gaining weight and feeling good.

I would heartily recommend something like this, but the usualy cautions apply:  we are each a little different.  You know your own body better than any other.

Katman
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

budd002
Jan 18, 2011 1:46 am
Until I read this post I never even thought that I should get a juicer. I have a heck of a time putting any weight on and as for nutrients pufffttt

Login to see image

...I do like my vegies and fruit but they don't always like me. Perhaps if I made them into juice we could start a whole new relationship....Guess I'm going shopping, but for which juicer??? Hmmmm......

Thanks guys for the idea!
weewee
Jan 18, 2011 2:22 am
been looking at alot of different juicers and will return with an answer been watching you tube and so far we have found a couple juicers that are reallyexpensive and not worth the money like 400 dollars then found some as cheap as 100 that do better job the the big exspensive one
budd002
Jan 18, 2011 2:50 am
Now you really have the wheels turning in my head....I wonder if I can get insurance to pay for a juicer as a medical necessity. I can't or don't absorb nutrients like most people would and a juicer would benefit my malnutrition and my absorption of very much needed nutrients....Sure would beat a TPN line. I'm going to ask my doctor about that, he'll sign whatever paper I put in front of him to save me having to argue my poin to him as I am 99% right all the time anyway, he has given up that fight with me. He has however been pretty adamant about NOT getting me on a mobile TPN treatment so perhaps THIS will be the kick in the pants he needs to get me healthy again and some nutrition into me.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
weewee
Jan 18, 2011 11:22 am
from the resurch a friend and i did we like these 2 brands of juicers breville and jack lalanne there are way more expensive ones out there but these one ranged from 100 dollars and up the models we like for easy clean up and price is what we look for breville juice fountain plus je98xl was 199dollarsor the cheapest one was the model bje200xl for 99 dollars which couldnt do as much as the other model  and any of the jack lalanne modelsthese are 99 dollars and up both these models are juicers so there is no pulp in the drink the jack lalanne was easy and fast clean yup i have this model made 64 ounces of fruit juice cut all fruit in 1/4s the juiced served and cleaned up in under 10 mins well if you want more info on what i have found out every thing i put here is on you tube next thing i have been researching is the fruits and what vitamins ans nutritional value the fruits have been way fun doing this and found alot of the vitamins and other stuff is in the fruits crazy drinks i have had are oranges and grapefruit toghther pears cantaloupe apples been drinking little b4 i made the post and no issues with the fiber that is in the fruit like what is in veggies good heaLTH TO ALL AND HAVE FUN
margie
Jan 18, 2011 5:01 pm
i have been wondering about juicing. i have a juicer and used to use it a lot in the past. but now with the ileostomy i wonder how much of the nutients will be digested as the colon absorbs most of the fluids. i don't even know how much my digestion abilities have been compromised. i don't want to eat the suggested diet of white breads and processed foods. i had cancer and want to eat well, anti cancer foods. so feel stuck and was interested to see comments of people who are also looking for answers to how to have a good diet with an ostomy. are we even able to digest vitamins in the same way as before? i would apprieciate any food wisdom you have gathered along these lines or books to refer to how to be a healthy osteomate.

thanks

margie
car1951
Jan 19, 2011 1:26 am
I have the HealthMaster and I love the thing.  I was one of those people who ate mostly raw stuff--you can imagine my shock when I discovered that carefully ingrained habits of healthy eating were no longer possible.  The HealthMaster gave my raw vegetables and fruits back to me.  I have no problem with the pulp but I would suggest care by anyone first using one.  We are all different, with different size stomas.  I have both a colostomy and an ileuostomy.  

Be warned--the HealthMaster is huge!  Best of luck to you.  Oh, finally--the HeathMaster cost me 199.00.
margie
Jan 19, 2011 9:12 am
hi

i have a juicer but what exactly is a health master?

thank you and best wishes to everybody

marge
weewee
Jan 19, 2011 2:11 pm
the healthmaster is what montel willams promotes its not a juicer  it purifies all the pulp
Past Member
Jan 19, 2011 3:27 pm
Where can we find this product?Thanks
Past Member
Jan 19, 2011 5:09 pm
Margie,

If I may, the absorption of our digested nutrients and even water takes place in the small intestine. The process is completed by the end of the Ileum which is the final segment of the small intestine. Beyond this point, with the main exception being water, the colon or large intestine functions to absorb water and condense the future fecal material. Assuming that you have an intact small intestine, meaning all three segments, your digestion should be pretty much complete. However, this would be affected by the speed by which the material passes through the small intestine i.e., the faster the less absorption. So, in this case the amount and type of food that we take in does have an effect. The colon does have a secondary function so to speak and that is it houses many non pathogenic bacteria that do synthesize the vitamins that we neeed such as the B-complex vitamins. Thus, your statement about vitamin supplements is a good one for ileostomates.
margie
Jan 19, 2011 5:55 pm
mercutio

that clarifies things for me. thank you for your reply.

margie
weewee
Jan 19, 2011 9:09 pm
you can find alot of juicer on line or if you go cosco or if you have a macys alot of places are spendy so shop around we have found alot of nice cheapone the jack lalanne is about 100 usa dollars the breville you can find on line same with the healthmaster now remeber that not all them are juicers some a like a big blender that has alot of power and they have pulp in the mix if you reread this post you find couple people have different mashines that they likeand so far nobody has reported issues with thier body and how they are able to diegst remember what one can do doesnt mean someone else can try small amounts to dee if it works for you
budd002
Jan 24, 2011 4:02 am
Talk about a deal! Check it out and what perfect timing....2 for 1

http://www.powerjuicer.com/power-juicer-express.php