Living with Crohn's: A Journey of Resilience and Love

Replies
Views
ShineyShawnee
Jun 09, 2010 10:43 pm

I was diagnosed with Crohn's when I was 18 years old. Fresh out of high school and about to get married. The next few years are a blur of doctors, hospital visits, and tests. In between, I managed to live a life, be a wife, and hold a full-time job. I had my first bowel resection in '94. I continued my "bleary, blissful, swift descent" and, in '96, had a subtotal colectomy with ileostomy. My husband didn't handle it too well. (I KNOW!...HE didn't handle it too well!) Very immature boy I found out I married. We ended up divorcing a few years later -- one less asshole to worry about. lol He wasn't cut out for the job. Oh, and I didn't much like him sleeping with other women.
So I met a REAL man WITH my bag who loved me in spite of and because of who I am. I was so scared at first of what he would think of my baggage. I must have made a pretty good impression because he stuck around. We dated a while -- And when the topic of me having the ileo reversed came up, he really didn't want me to "rock the boat" and preferred I keep it. But, I wanted to be back to "normal" and ended up having the ileo reversed after 4 years. This left me with about 3 inches of colon hooked up to my ileum/small bowel.
About a year later, I started having a flare-up that landed me in the hospital. Remicade was new and my doc thought I should give it a go. I did. And I did well...for about 5 years.
Then, the Crohn's must really have it in for me because it came back with gloves on and started beating the heck out of me. Back to the routine of hospitals...docs...tests....brings us to Feb 14, 2008, with me in the operating room getting ileostomy #2.
Oh, and she is a BEE-YOU-TEE!
BUT! the thing that ticks me off this time is....I'M STILL HAVING FLARE UPS!!! Very frustrating sometimes. On and off steroids the last year or so since. And, in Dec '09, started a new drug called Cimzia. Closed up a fistula pretty quick. (I'm still intact from my semi-colon down)
That "real man" I told you about? Married me. Top of the lighthouse in Key West. Oh, yeah. Made me his bride. He's a good man. Keeps my head level and reminds me how AWESOME I am. lol. Seriously, he reminds me to laugh at myself. And, when you can do that, it makes all the difference in the world.
At this moment...I am just taking the challenges that are thrown at me one at a time.

Fish On! ;-)

canyon home
Aug 17, 2010 1:31 pm

Your story gives me hope. I'm a young 60 and wondering how a guy would handle my colostomy. I've been divorced for several years and am just now thinking I'd like to start a relationship. It has to be the right guy, I guess, huh? I just can't imagine bringing up the subject - or when. I guess I'll figure it out when it all happens. Anyway, I'm glad you've got a lover/friend to help you through your days. I think we are all meant to have a mate.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.