High, Low, or Does It Really Matter?

Replies
Views
Traveling Lady
Dec 16, 2010 2:40 am
Question for the ladies. 4 more days. Surgeon has given me some leeway on where the (colostomy) stoma exits. I'm thinking as low as possible to accommodate low-cut trousers/jeans -- but then will the bag hang out of a bathing suit or pose other problems? Certainly, there are more important issues to be thinking about on the eve of this operation. This is so trivial compared to all else I will face and particularly to all that you all have faced for so long. But, for the most part, I have no control over what will happen so I dwell now on the little I can control...
SheliaBaby
Dec 16, 2010 11:57 am
I do not think it's silly at all...most people have no choice. Of course if you have some sort of "option" you would want to put it in the best spot.

You have a good point about the "low cut" pants...another thing you might also want to think about is where it will be when you sit or bend.

Like you stated...you feel like you have no control over what will happen...having just this little bit probably helps in some small way.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Shelia :)
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Dec 16, 2010 2:59 pm
My stoma nurse worked out the best position for my "rosie" pre-surgery. They check where your natural skin folds and creases when sitting, standing, lying down, and can mark a good site for the surgeon. Mind did an excellent job because I am one of the few that hasn't had many issues with my permanent "front bum"!

Mine is just to the right and about an inch lower than my navel. I wear mid rise jeans (but did before the op too, not a fan of the low rise look) and the jeans cover the bag with no squishing involved.

I have always worn a one-piece bathing suit when swimming and no probs there either, honestly most of the time I forget I have an ostomy.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery,
Take care, Jo x
funnygurl
Dec 16, 2010 7:12 pm

I swim a lot. There are mini pouches that I think are designed for infants that I use when swimming. I get them without filters. They work!

Traveling Lady
Dec 17, 2010 1:09 pm
Thanks, ladies, for all the good advice. 15 years ago, when I had my last colostomy, leggings were in style and I mainly wore those with long, loose tunics. Now, leggings have come back but I don't think I can get away with them this time.:-) Scarface belly has had me wearing 1 piece bathing suits for years.
3 more days and I'm babbling on about clothes! :-( Where did the emoticons go?

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Past Member
Dec 17, 2010 7:56 pm

I just had my surgery this past September, and I am only 41. Like you, I was concerned about the sexy clothes, etc. Although mine is set higher, the surgeon did mention (I was quite upset with it being higher) that lower would be more complicated with looser stool and the possibility of more leakages. Good luck to you, as I don't think it really matters where it is located as long as it functions properly without problems! :)

beyondpar
Dec 17, 2010 10:26 pm

Yes, it matters as I too had wanted mine lower after realizing all pants would hit my stoma at the belt line. As far as it being sexy like horsegurl had said, I can't really say that... lol

The reason is that there is a muscle which the intestine really needs to come through so that it doesn't move around a lot and create a possible hernia. That muscle is the middle point if you drew a line from your belly button to your hip bone and then drew to your pubic bone. Put a dot right in the middle of the triangle you just drew and that's where the stoma should be. Too low and you will have wearing problems and too high will create too much of an inconvenience. That's it. Period. Michael

Traveling Lady
Dec 18, 2010 1:07 am
Drew the lines and it looks like the center of the triangle is very close to the scar of my previous stoma. Horsegurl, how does your stoma fit in Michael's layout? I certainly don't want leaks or hernias (far more critical than the clothes issue I'm trying to use to distract myself).
Traveling Lady
Dec 24, 2010 1:50 pm

4 days post-op. The surgical nurse did as Jo described, also checking the folds from scar tissue and determined where the wafer would have the best seal and ended up placing it at a spot just a bit higher than the center of the triangle Michael described. It definitely did not conform to the jeans I was to wear home, so I had my daughter bring me a pair of her loose sweatpants. Was a bit mortified when I got home and found that I had PINK! plastered across my butt.