Help please

Replies
Views
buster
Sep 09, 2011 12:33 am
Hi im new to this but i have a slight problem...... Ive had a eliostomy for 13 years but i still have an stump left incase i could have it all reversed. .ive now found out i cant as i still have colitis in the stump, My doctor told me i would need this removed within 10 years of my opp as the stump will start dieing off as there is no nurishment going through it. I am now worried sick as its been 13 years and every time i talk to someone about this they tell me there is no rush so as you can see im very confused with the whole thing, So please can someone help me out With thanks ...

mitdad
Sep 09, 2011 2:30 am
Removing the rectal stump was the last of my 23 surgeries and it was the best thing to do to stop urethral-rectal fistulas which were a constant problem. You have a chance it seems to get rid of your remaining disease. As long as you have UC or Crohn's the chances of it recurring elsewhere is great. It will take a while to heal...usually up to a few months. My first surgery was at 11 and last at 20. No problems for 40 years until a stoma revision due to wear and tear. Things will work out for you. Only positive thoughts.. Barry
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

buster
Sep 09, 2011 9:28 am
Thank you Barry im glad there are good people who i can talk to who know what they are talking about as they have gone through it all Paul.
lemon
Sep 11, 2011 5:20 am
I had no idea stumps had to be removed. I know im not helping you but you sure helped me. Thanks
Belle
Sep 11, 2011 8:27 pm
Hi, I've just found out I now have to have my rectal stummp anus removed as the Crohn's is causing too many problems in the stump. From discussions with my consultant, it's not always necessary to have it removed as, if you're lucky, you may never have problems with it. I logged on tonight to see if anyone had recently had their rectal stump removed; the surgeon drew me a diagram of how my rear end will look but I thought that if I could speak to someone else who's been through it, it might be helpful. Sorry I've not been very helpful but I will let you know how I get on once I've had it removed. Take care

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
buster
Sep 11, 2011 10:48 pm
hi Belle Hope all goes well and please let me know how it goes, This will bee very helpfull,im now getting problems with the discharge comeing out on its own without any pressure (sorry to put it so disgusting) and i still have collitis in it and sometimes get very bad pain in the bum area so i think i need to visit my doctor,Nice to talk and hope to talk soon with thanks Paul.
buster
Sep 11, 2011 11:10 pm
Hi lemonAs bella stated i think you only have to have it removed if you are getting problems with it, With thanks Paul.