Ileo or colostomy?

Replies
Views
supernan
Oct 13, 2011 7:58 pm
Hi, I just would be interested in people's views on whether the ileostomy or colostomy is best to deal with. I have a permanent colostomy, and after a few problems initially, it seems to have settled down and is not too hard to deal with, the main difficulty is that I am very restricted in my diet, no green vegetables, or raw veg, which was my favourite. However, after reading some of the stories on here it seems to me that an ileostomy must be a lot lot worse. In which case, why do some people start with the ileo and then go on to the colostomy. Sorry if this makes me appear ignorant, but I am just interested. Thanks Jenny

Xerxes
Oct 13, 2011 8:27 pm
supernan,Yes, I agree, an ileotomy is worse although it might depend on where the colostomy is performed i.e., how much large intestine is left.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

jayski
Oct 13, 2011 8:35 pm
Hi JennyHonestly, I think everyone's experience is different. I have an ileo, have never had a bit of trouble with it or with the supplies. I've read about colostomy issues and have thought Thank gawd I don't have to deal with THAT lol. I eat all the green and raw veg I want (although I've learned from experience what to eat in moderation to avoid blockage). Definitely no huge issue for me. A person can have problems with either ileostomy or colostomy, but I wouldn't trade!
supernan
Oct 13, 2011 10:15 pm
Thanks both, I think it must depend on the personal experience and also the state of their health and reason for having it in the first place.
Larmani
Oct 13, 2011 11:06 pm
I have an Ileostomy and eat what I like, only problem I have is if I drink red wine my tank fills fast!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
supernan
Oct 14, 2011 7:23 am
What about white?!!
Past Member
Oct 14, 2011 9:06 pm
supernan, hi, i have an ileo that is early in the bowel, and am very restricted in what i can eat. so perhaps it depends on how early in the system the ileo is sited. and as you say on the health of the person. and is they have dahesions. i know somebody with a colostomy who only needs to empty twice a day, can eat whatever ... but suffers awful with wind!i wonder does anyone with an ileo wish they had a colostomy, and vice versa ... or whould we rather stick with the devil we know? ... is it a given that folks would rather cope without either? TC
DH
Oct 14, 2011 9:38 pm
Hi Jen, From the stories I'VE read on this site by people who have ileostomies,I would say they have more problems than people like me with colostomies. I think it's because they pass liquid stool,they have more tendency of having leaks and skin irritations.Where as people with colostomies pass more solid stool and don't have as much leakage problems except when we get occasional bouts of diareah. Plus people with colostomies can where the closed end pouches and just toss um in the trash when it's full.No need to drain if your passing solids.I had to do the drain thing when I first got out of hospital,because my stools were not solid yet. And I had a hard time dealing with that.My surgeon said had no food restrictions,But to keep track of any food that causes me problems. But everyones different as to what foods they can handle. Good to keep a food journal. I've never heard of someone going from a ileo to a colostomy.But I've heard of people going from colostomy to ileostomy. Good luck with your colostomy. Donna
cee
Oct 15, 2011 1:25 am
I thought I would put in my two cents. I have a permanent colostomy for over 2 years as a result of botched surgery for rectal cancer and more importantly, 28 rounds of radiation. In the nine years I that i tried everything to heal my scarred and damaged rectum and bowel I also had a temporary ileostomy for three months. The ileo ran constantly and filled like a huge balloon at night. Now my colostomy runs constantly. I can eat and see it two hours later...no possible way could I irrigate...no closed end pouches...truthfully not much difference for me then the ileo. Don't have quite the huge ballooning at night is the best i can say. I eat everything and did with the ileo although more careful with popcorn then. I think the cancer card is different then the UC or Crohn's however. My personal issue is my annoyance at people who urge, urge, urge you to irrigate. Like why wouldn't I if I could?? Another reason to feel bad.
weewee
Oct 15, 2011 7:59 am
hello superman i have a colostomy but it acts more like a ileostomie i rarely get mushy more watery i also cant eat vegies or things with to much fiber or the gas flows heavy but i am also located in the middle of my stomache not were they normaly are and it do take long to diegest foods either so i can eat alot just not at one setting any more i eat 3 to 4 times some times more depends on what i do now as far as blow outs they happen depending on how much i move around the weather they put me in a 4 inch and gives me more room to seal on my skin plus if i used a wax ring it will last little longer i change 2 a day i have had mone for 2 years now and yea farting while sleeping is a good one i made a big body pillow so i dont roll over and exsplode i made it so that i cant just roll on top of it it like a back of a couch keeps me still at nite i am used to sleeping on my right side and thats where my whoppy cushion is so it helped me out alot alos i have a bed cover so that if i do blow out i dont wreck my mattress
dallen1980
Oct 15, 2011 7:09 pm
I had a temp ileo until feb 2007 when they sucessfull created an ileo anal pouch in sept 2006 and closed it in feb 2007. From when it was closed I have had problems with it, now i'm considering having it remove and a permanent ileo. ANY ADVICE PLEASE!
cee
Oct 15, 2011 7:46 pm
I saw a surgeon who was gung ho on doing the ileo anal pouch J pouch and gave me an 85% chance of success. Then he examined me and dropped his estimate to 50%. I sought a second and third opinion and was told essentially: everyone develops pouchitis...it is an Unnatural surgery in that you are forcing one part of the body to perform like another...acting like a real colon does...reversals of the pouch are very high. While I wouldn't want to stop anyone in their journey to resolving our common problems I chose not to have the J pouch done and have never regretted it. If you read the posts on this site many,many people have had problems with it. I think it is very profitable for surgeons and hospitals to do them...they spoke to me about three separate surgeries. I would urge you to get as many professional opinions as to your personal chance of anything improving while you make your decision.
supernan
Oct 15, 2011 9:34 pm
I think that on the whole if I have to have one (which obviously I did), then the colostomy seems to be the lesser of two evils. However, some people seem to have a bad time with that as well. I have to say I agree with cee that it can be a bit annoying to hear everyone praise irrigation when we can't, but at least it makes some peoples lives easier. I also do what weewee does and that is have a pillow on my right side but that is as much to support the hernia, but it does stop me laying on it. I think people just have to try different things and see what suits them. I have just come off iron tablets for the first time in 6 months and have found that I have become a bit constipated for the first time. I don't know whether it will help anybody else, but I eat soft licquorice and drink Coke (usually a no no for me) and find that the gas helps blow it all out. Not something I'd advise everyday though as it can be painful!!
Past Member
Oct 19, 2011 3:30 pm
I have experience with both!!! I started out with a colostomy-I got to emptying 2 times daily-although it was hard to get the pouch really clean as my stools formed quite well. I did suffer a lot with gas and also lots of loud noises at the worst most embarrassing times!!! Now, a year later I had to go under the knife again as my crown's started acting up in the large bowel again and I had to have the large bowel completely removed-which ended up with removing my stoma on the left and now have it on the right and an ileostomy. I must say, I seem to like the ileostomy better-the stools are liquid and easier to clean, although it does fill up fast and do have to empty more often. The noises and gas seem to have disappeared too!!
supernan
Oct 19, 2011 9:47 pm
It's good to hear from someone who has had both to hear their views. At the moment I am having a lot of trouble with mine, just a temporary blip I hope, but I think that is down to the hernia. It means I can't laugh a lot as it hurts, which is a bit of a nuisance, I'll just have to stop looking in the mirror!!