Something to be thankful for.....sick in a differant country!

Replies
Views
~traci~
Apr 07, 2012 1:45 am

As I was getting ready to go on a family vacation to Cuba two weeks ago........I did all the things we ostomates do to get ready to travel. My medications and ostomy supplies were packed and I was up to date with my travel medical insurance . The biggest things on my mind were getting though the customs with out stopping me with an ostomy, If I had enough supplies to get me though a week of fun in the sun, and enough medication in case I get another case of travelers diarrhea. You see ....me and my husband experienced a nasty case of travelers diarrhea on our last trip to Cuba and had to see the doctor for a shot of gravol and 7 day treatment of antibiotics. During this time we surprised to find that a doctor in Cuba makes less money then most of the people that worked at resort. I had the privilege to meeting a man with crohn's disease and he started telling me his unbelievable story of being diagnosed. I made it my mission to get him the crohn's medication which he was unable to get in Cuba even though Castro (cubin president) brags about how good there countries free health care was . I got doctors here to donate some crohns medication and supplies sent it though travellers to my new friends with crohn's disease. This year I packed up everything I could get my hands on Diabetic meters , medication, eye glasses and anything else I could jam in the suitcase I was aloud to take for free full of medical supplies. Helping these people made me feel so good inside because I was making a difference in someones life. Until.............we were faced with a real emergency that had us all in awe of the conditions of the real cubin health care. My father-in-law had a fall that took us to the closes hospital, and I use the word hospital lightly.

Foreigners like us who visit Cuba, are fed the official line from Castro's propaganda "All Cubans are now able to receive excellent health care, which is also free." But the truth is very different. Castro has built excellent health facilities for the use of foreigners, who pay with hard currency for those services. But Cubans are not even allowed to visit those facilities. Cubans who require medical attention must go to other hospitals(like we visited) that lack the most minimum requirements needed to take care of their patients. In addition, most of these facilities are filthy and patients have to bring their own towels, bed sheets, pillows, or they would have to lay down on dirty bare mattresses stained with blood and other body fluids. Imagine the most horrific hospital movie you have seen....Garbage and pools of water everywhere. The perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes and disease. Old and outdated instrument , There weren't any windows, the lights flickered on and off. There was running water that flowed down the hall ways, mold grows up the walls. The public bathrooms had no pluming (just a hole) and there was no signs of any hospital workers until we woke them up. It was like we were in a bad dream but couldn't wake up. So I started to do some investagation myself and found the real ugly truth that most patients died because of the negligence of those in charge of this hospital, and after they died, hospital officials threw them on a table, one on top of the other, like bags of garbage at the local dumpster.These poor patients show marks that indicate that patients were beaten before they died.

As we walked the dark and dingy halls all I could think was ....This is the fantastic health care that Cubans patients receive? They are treated worse than animals. It is the cruelty of that brutal regime that has been oppressing the Cuban people for more than 51 years. Could this all be true? I had to find out so I found a person that spoke English that was willing to talk to me and share a recent article about slave doctors the Cuba lend out to foreign countries which explains why being a doctor in Cuba is not hold the same opportunity's as we have here in north America. In fact being a doctor can have you torn away from your family,friend and life to work for Castro regime.

Letter from a slave doctor in Angola

A relative of a Cuban slave doctor, who was sent by the Castro regime to work in Angola, have sent me copy of a recent e-mail he received where the doctor explains how the Castro brothers exploit those who are forced to abandon their families and go work in foreign countries.

The name of the doctor has been omitted for obvious reasons. Here is a translation of what he said:

"Let me explain how the contract works. The Angolan government pays Cuba US$10,000 monthly for each doctor, but from that total, the Cuban government pays Angola's Ministry of Health US$6,000 per month to guarantee our housing and transportation. We have to pay for our own food. Of the US$4,000 left we only receive US$600, but 30% of the $600 is paid to an account in Cuba. I spend about US$150 buying food that I have to cook myself and if you check the phone bill, it cost around US$40 to call Cuba. As you can see, it is not easy."

Note - According to the relatives, the 30% that is paid in Cuba is in CUC Convertible Cuban Pesos that are worthless outside of Cuba.

Based on this breakdown, Cuba is receiving US$4,000 net after expenses for each doctor. The Cuban government pays US$420 ($600 less 30%) to the doctor and 180 CUC, go to an account in Cuba.

And the difference, approximately US$3,400, goes to the pocket of Castro & Castro Slave Traders Unlimited.

Some exiled doctors that I've talked to believe that the figure that the Cuban government pays for the "housing and transportation" seems high and is probably what the government told the doctor.

If that's the case, the difference that goes to the Castro brothers pockets could be even higher.

Multiply that by the thousands of Cuban doctors who are currently working in foreign countries and you can understand why Forbes lists Fidel Castro as one of the world's richest dictators.

Next time you hear one of those foreign ignorant talking about the "generosity" of Cuba's leaders in "sharing" thousands of Cuban doctors to help the poor and the needy around the world, show them this letter.

After reading this I couldn't help but sit and cry. The whole situation had overwhelmed me. I couldn't help but feel blessed for living with a disease that if I would of been living in Cuba ....I would of surly died from complication and lack of medication. All of a sudden I was embarrassed for all the times I have complained about waiting to see a doctor or have been impatient because the pharmacy was out of stock and I had to wait a day or two for my medication. Sometimes there comes a time in your life where one turn of events changes your life, change the way you see things differently . This was that moment for me. This trip has changed me forever. Even though my father-n-law has been in a Canadian hospital awaiting surgery to replace his shattered shoulder for over a week, you will not here a complaint from us. We all sit patiently waiting for his surgery knowing that the care that our father receives is among the best in the world and we are truly blessed to live in a place where we have our freedom and rights that we sometimes take for granted! Today asI spend thanksgiving with family and friends I know that I have alot to be thankful for!!!!

Bill
Nov 26, 2011 9:20 am
Hello traci, Thank you for sharing this interesting story and your thoughtful reactions to the experiences.I does not surprise me at all that you find politicians saying one thing (usually positive) to the general public and on closer scrutiny something completely different (often the opposite) in 'real' life. It also surprises me not that these same politicians are making money and profiting in other ways out of their policies.The present unrest around the world is perhaps reflective of this phenomenon and an indication that ordinary people are getting sufficiently fed up with it to do something about it. I have repeated many times in many places that I believe that the greatest challenge to any society is to control those who are powerful. To the extent that this is so, the rest of society will get a fairer deal.That apart, I hope you 'enjoyed' your 'educational' holiday in Cuba. (One of many places I would not fancy going to myself) Best wishes Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Primeboy
Nov 29, 2011 3:20 am
Hi Trac,What a revealing post! I will forward a copy of your comments to my son who thinks Michael Moore tells that truth. Why don't you send your comments to CBS 60 Minutes and challenge them to tell the truth about all the lies that have been told about Castro's Cuba. We all have a lot to be thankful for and the least any of can do is to stamp out lies. Thank you for sharing your findings. Don't forget...you have a book to write. PB
~traci~
Dec 03, 2011 4:46 am
Thanks for the reminder prime ( been alittle lost lately) I think I found my subject !!! Im going back for in january for futher research and to help others like us!!!!I think everyone has a story to tell and know matter where in the world you live .You have the right to tell it!!
smith311
Dec 03, 2011 10:32 pm
Thanks for the educational post Traci. Your story definitely does put things into better perspective in terms of what we in the USA take for granted and how quickly we lose our patience when the healthcare process is not perfect. I can't help but wonder how the quality of life of doctors in Cuba compares to other vocations there, but have a suspicion that the rest of the populous there probably aren't even as well off as the doctors. The description of the so-called hospitals is just horrific. I'll bet there is a lot of home treatment going on there, maybe better off going that route if it's not something life-threatening. Thanks, George

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play