Survived Surgery

Replies
Views
MJMuraco
Feb 09, 2012 8:28 pm
The good news is I survived the colostomy reversal with hernia repair surgery. The bad news is my doctor performed an ileostomy so that the waste can drain and allow the stoma and hernia to heal. I'm still wearing a bag but he says that he'll do another surgery in four weeks to reverse that and than I can heal and get truly well again. It's such a long road and I've had so many detours along the way but I must keep on truckin and get past this inconvenience in my life. I'm feeling pretty groggy now as I just got home from the hospital last night and am on strong painkillers. My doctor said he was throwing around F words during my surgery because he too was frustrated that when he connected my colon, it still showed leakage. He says that with more healing, he'll do everything to get this reversal over and done with. Has anyone experienced this during reversal of a colostomy? I thought I was going to be done but I guess not. Thanks for all of your prayers and encouragement. MJ

Primeboy
Feb 10, 2012 5:15 am
Some doctors would advise that you allow yourself up to 4-5 months, not weeks, to heal before a reversal. I waited 5 months and never regretted anything. Allow your body enough time to heal properly. Wearing a bag temporarily is such a small inconvenience when dealing with major surgeries. Don't rush when you have a lifetime ahead of you. PB
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

MJMuraco
Feb 11, 2012 5:34 pm
This surgery did reverse my colostomy and I had waited 5 months for that. I thought I would be done but he performed this ileostomy to allow the colostomy reversal to heal. He says this is very temporary and will do tests on me in four weeks to see if the colostomy reversal is healed enough to reverse the ileostomy. I'm just wishing all of this would end but I'm thankful at the same time that I'm alive after three surgeries.My hope is to be healed for the summer and rest of my life.
MJMuraco
Feb 28, 2012 5:03 pm
I found out today that my surgery to have my ileostomy reversed is scheduled for March 16th. Tests show that my colon is healed enough so hopefully this will be the last surgery. I was told I'll need 4-6 weeks to recover and get my bowels working normally. Has anyone else had an ilieostomy after a colostomy to give the colon a chance to fully heal?
dandare
Feb 29, 2012 12:06 pm
I only saw this today, sorry MJ! I see Fable 3 had a similar procedure as yourself but took a little longer than yourself. Thank heavens you had a patient doctor who saw you through the surgery. Its only a few more weeks and you'll be saying goodbye to your ileostomy bag and can get back on the road to recovery. As PB wisely points out not to rush as you've got a lifetime ahead! Take care, Colm

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play