Vacation

Replies
Views
xnine
Feb 28, 2016 4:23 pm
Just returned from 12 days in Bucerias, Mexico. It was hot hot. I went in the pool most days for a few laps and in the ocean once. I had to change my kit out twice, I think it was from the sweat and not the pool or ocean. Ate some good food and lots of walking. When leaving Mexico sceurity asked what was under my stirt, I showed my letter and on I went. Can not wait for next year.

Bill
Feb 28, 2016 8:53 am
Hello xnine.
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you had a great time.
Best wishes
Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

bluejewel
Mar 07, 2016 11:54 am
Sound like a great time. So did you fly? I have friends that want to go on cruises. But I don't know about flying with my ostomy and dealing with the TSA. Not sure a letter would do it in the USA.
xnine
Mar 07, 2016 1:31 pm
We flew from Calgary direct to Puerto Vallarta about 4.5 hours. I just make sure I put on a new bag before I leave for the airport. The TSA should let you go to a privet room if their questions or routine get to personal. Many Ostomates fly everyday. Do not let it hold you back. I have been on cruises before surgery and do not see any problems except for eating to much,I gained about a pound a day.
LadyHope
Mar 07, 2016 2:12 pm
Hi All, I just returned from a vacation to South Beach, Miami Florida and Key West. This was my third airplane flight post surgery. The security officers were great. I explained my situation, patted my belly and off I went. They rubbed something on my hands to check for residue, other than that test, the security procedure went smoothly. In order to lessen anxiety, I pack all of my medical supplies in a carry on ....I can't have the airport lose my equipment. I also eat very little before my flight because I want minimal output in my pouch. I also change to a fresh pouch so the filter is working at 100 percent. Have fun traveling. LH

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
D542c0
Mar 07, 2016 9:39 pm
I've had mine for almost 35 years...traveling is absolutely possible. I, too, pack my supplies in my carry on. Can't have it lost....I just got back from a cruise...the TSA officer did recommend next time tell them before I start through and they will just have me go thru the machine that scans your whole body...not a big deal...enjoy life and definitely travel.....it is kinda funny. The first thing I always do anywhere I go, is scope out restrooms...and on a plane, I try for an aisle seat...
Immarsh
Mar 10, 2016 10:26 pm
Hi all,

I really laugh when I read everyone's comments about "telling" about ostomy when traveling. I tell no one, anything!! I guess it's my perverse"ness", since having my surgery since I was 15. It's like a childish "dare" for them to find something different with me. Until recently, I've never been questioned.

I didn't fly much during my 20's 30's & 40's but after my divorce I traveled extensively both flying & cruising. The last time I flew, they put me through the scanner, & the personnel "noticed" something, and asked if I could pull my pants up higher. I looked her in the eye ( asking for trouble ?) and said no. I guess despite being 67, I've never quite grown up? I'm always polite, but if they have questions, I figure they'll ask.

I too carry on all my medical supplies, and that's extensive, because I'm an insulin dependent diabetic ( 3 insulins / 8 shots a day = a lot of syringes! I also take a c-pap with me for sleep apnea, along with all my meds & surgical supplies. never been questioned about all that stuff either. Enjoy the travel people!
Bill
Mar 11, 2016 5:46 am
Hello Immarsh. I was interested in all the gear you need to take travelling with you as I have similar stuff. Do you take it all in a carry-on bag or do you stow some of it in the hold?
Best wishes
Bill
Immarsh
Mar 11, 2016 11:33 am
Hi Bill,

I do take all my medical & surgical "stuff" with me in a carry on. I can't risk luggage being lost, if I put it through a check in.
When I visit my kids in Australia, I'm there for more than 3 weeks, so it's really a lot of stuff. To make things easier, I put whatever I can ( medication especially ) in zip lock bags, so they can see what's in there. They always remove my c-pap machine, and test ( for drugs or a bomb) so I put that in a bag also.
I notice that some people travel with a cpap case, but that would mean an extra carry on ( which is legal) but I don't have enough hands to manage it all. Instead of carrying a purse, I use a light weight tote bag....with extra ostomy supplies in it, in case I need it on the plane. that way, I don't have to dig through my carry on in the overhead. It's a lot of preparation, but travel is so worth it! Love to hear where you go? Best regards, Marsha
Immarsh
Mar 11, 2016 2:36 pm
Love the pics of your garden, especially "the dogs". Beautiful!
Bill
Mar 11, 2016 4:06 pm
Hello Immarsh. Thanks for replying. I used to go to New Zealand every year but I haven't been since the stoma and the CPAP machine because I felt it would be too much hassle on the plane. My wife went this year without me and that's making me think that I should probably make the effort next time around.
I'm glad you like the garden. It's only small but it gives me a lot of pleasure to make it look nice each year and it provides interest for all our visitors. I have another 'garden' that I tend - along a three mile river walk that I cut out some years back. (when I was a bit fitter!)I planted it up with all sorts of plants and flowers that I start off as seeds in the greenhouse. Each year I have a theme for suitable perennials and this year it will be cowslips. I collect the seed locally in the autumn so that I can be confident that they will naturalise where I finally plant them. I have masses of snowdrops showing at the moment which took me about ten years to get looking good by splitting them up and replanting each year. The narcissi didn't do quite so well but there are still enough to make one stop and admire their tenacity. I see the bluebells are green at present so it will not be long before we get a decent covering of blue. There is something intrinsically motivating about getting things to grow and look nice for everyone to enjoy so I plod on with it year after year and like to think that maybe it will still be around long after I'm gone.
Best wishes
Bill
Immarsh
Mar 11, 2016 6:16 pm
Kudos to you, and your gardening skills. I have friends who are "master" gardeners, but alas, I have two black thumbs. Before I divorced, we had a house in a "development", but had a nice sized piece of land. Unfortunately, my ex valued his law ( and our vegetable garden) more than he did our flowers. I was restricted to "border" plantings...I didn't love doing the work, but loved the outcome. I moved to a "planned" community after the divorce, and they too frown on using flowers on common space. So I have "my pots". Some I can bring in, and save over the winter, which feels like an achievement, but my gardener friends say annuals are not meant to be saved. I keep saying, I'll try perrenials, or decorative grasses...but I don't so well with either of those either. So I've been content with my hanging baskets, and "pots".

Extensive travel, sounds overwhelming, but in reality, is no different than a long car ride.....At least there's a bathroom on board! In all the years I've traveled, I've only had to change my wafer and bag once. And for 7 years I traveled in the co pilot seat of a single engine plane ( with no bathroom on board). We had to stop every 3 hours for fuel....so I didn't eat anything until about an hour before landing. It's all part of the adventure. The cpap is another issue. One year, I asked to use it on board, and had to get special clearance. I also had to sit in an assigned seat, at the back of the plane where there was an outlet. A few hours into using it on board, it started to beep / with a red alarm flashing, and we smelled smoke. Ugh. It overheated for some reason. And it didn't work when I arrived in Australia. I tried to get another one, but it wasn't possible, unless I paid for it. After a few days I tried using it again....and this time it worked. Sigh. I know longer use the machine on board, and just snore my way to my destination. Just part of the adventure.

Best regards

Marsha
Bill
Mar 13, 2016 8:43 am
Hello Marsha. I love hanging baskets and pots. They are what give vibrant colour to the gardens that might otherwise be just builder's yards.
I like your approach to travelling and I may well try it next year. My daughter is coming over from New Zealand next year. She and my wife are talking about going to France so I might well tag along and see how it goes.
Best wishes
Bill