Getting wet

Replies
Views
Bebe68
Jun 21, 2012 8:27 pm
Anyone with ideas on getting wet . I had my ostomy at age 14 and i'm 43 now but.it seems i cant ever keep my flange on when I go swimming . when I shower i use tape that repels water. I have a trip and I want to enjoy it for a change . Feels like my whole life I been trapped .

Sun
Jun 21, 2012 8:40 pm
Hi Bebe68! I believe that if you put your question in the Forum you'll get much more answers. Good luck! :-) Sun
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bebe68
Jun 22, 2012 6:39 pm
Oh ok Thanks ...
Juuust_James
Jun 22, 2012 6:52 pm
well my feelingd are -if you need to use waterproof tape on you appliance just to take a shower or a swim -then you nedd to try some other brands with better adhering tape on their barriers. When i first got my ostomy over 16 yrs ago -the tape on the barriers that i was given wa slike paper, this didnt hold up for long with even moisture let alone water, so I had to use the water-proof tape too. Then a few yrs later they imporved the design with a cloth-like tape and it holds up great! I take daily showers -sometimes even two in the summer.
Bebe68
Jun 22, 2012 7:03 pm
oh what brand do you use ? Mine is like a wafer and papertape I have alway used extra tape on flange to hold it on . had my ostomey for years i was 14 .now 43 . I tired Of the old boring life . Im always afraid of leaking .

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Juuust_James
Jun 22, 2012 7:07 pm
I use the Holister Premiere flextend convex. I been getting a weeks wear time consistently for nearly 10 yrs
Juuust_James
Jun 22, 2012 7:07 pm
wow, i didnt get my ostomy till i was 36, i can only imagine how hard it was to go thru school having one
Bebe68
Jun 22, 2012 7:11 pm
Nice and you can swim and shower without changing ? I have to change mine every other day because of getting wet . so I gave up swimming . but I want to start again .
Juuust_James
Jun 22, 2012 7:17 pm
yep! been a few yrs though cause i moved -and now i live close to the beach so not many pools around, and im not an ocean swimmer (dont like the cold water LOL ) but ive gone to two national conferences so far -and was in both the pool and and hot tub numerous times over the 3 day event -and didnt need to change till i got back home
Bebe68
Jun 22, 2012 7:26 pm
Nice I'll give it a try . Thanks for the info.It is nice to talk to you .
Juuust_James
Jun 22, 2012 7:28 pm
YW and gld i oculd help :)
esafi1966
Jun 23, 2012 3:58 pm
I use Coloplastssnsura 10015 and bags are Coloplast sensura 11124. They are amazing and I swear by them. The flange is almost like a rubber layer on outside and waterproof. The bag is a lock and roll with filter. I'm swam and showered with them and had. No problems. They are practically waterproof and no tape needed. They even have this lock and unlock feature when you attach the bag to the water. It allows you to spin the bag at anytime withoit having to remove the bag. In case you have the stealth belt. The stealth belt is worn to the side so the bag has to be spun to lay sideways along your waste. Email me if you want more info on what I'm using. I'm Eli. Nice to meet you
esafi1966
Jun 23, 2012 4:09 pm
Bebe. Email me. We have lots in common. I have great ideas on keeping your wafer to stay on longer. I'm Eli. 45 and divorced 11 years with a colostemy for 3 years now. Let's talk
firedog41
Jun 24, 2012 1:13 pm
Hi Bebe68, I use the Hollister new image 15203 flange with an 18373 pouch and have not had any problems in the shower, but I do make sure it is properly sealed before getting in the shower, I have been told if I plan to go swimming i should use a non vented pouch with the same flange. Hope this helps.Ed