The Salad Experiments

Replies
Views
718135gjw
Aug 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Sooooooo,

I just got my ileostomy in February and was given a booklet which contained lots of information about what you could not eat/should avoid with an ostomy. I was concerned about what to attempt but have found, as I have noted others have advised, that it's about trialling what your stoma can tolerate. Anyway, I decided that a blog would better capture what I found to be interesting to eat. There are no quantities listed here as I'm sure you can please yourself regarding your own appetite.

Mozerella & Giant Couscous salad.

Giant Couscous (100g)

Chicken stock cube

Watercress, chopped

Potatoes

Mozzerella ball (tear into pieces)

Green beans, trimmed and cut to half inch pieces

Tomatoes on the vine

Mixed dried herbs

Fat free dressing

Method

Peel and chop the potatoes into bite size chunks

Boil the potatoes and the green beans until tender

Cook the giant couscous according to packet instructions, i.e. boil in 200ml of water and crumble in the chicken stock cube. Cook until tender.

Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes into chunks, chop the watercress roughly and put both in a large mixing bowl.

Add your dried herbs to the mix and tear your mozzerella also adding this to the bowl.

When your potatoes and green beans are cooked, drain them and after letting them cool for five minutes add them to the mix

Add your fat free dressing and then rinse your giant couscous and add this to the mix.

Stir the ingredients together and serve.

mooza
Aug 03, 2012 10:12 pm
Im a more leafy green mixed leaves salad person myself :) but hey i dont always have probs with food just can eat anything and YES EVEN popcorn with me telling my stoma DONT LET ME DOWN NOW so i only have probs when maybe im having aome inflamation :) I do like french dressing fat free makes no diff ,LOL i need more excersize :) cheers thanks for your salad mix Mooza ?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

mooza
Aug 03, 2012 10:12 pm
tomatoes and fetta oz i forgot that marinated cows fetta ASWESOME NOM NOM NOM LOL
Past Member
Aug 05, 2012 4:06 pm
Sounds yummy mooza i need some new ideas for salads too..Nice salad mix too .. will try the couscous..tc ambiessss
feldwaibel
Aug 09, 2012 9:20 pm
only thing I would worry about are the seeds in tomatoes. For me they tend to get in the fold of the emptying area and have caused leaks. Cheese is good as it keeps me rather solid. Take care

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
jakelegs
Aug 10, 2012 2:50 am
I have found you should peel the tomatoes and use Romaine in lieu of watercress. Your system does NOT digest tomato peeling hardly at all.