problem solved

Replies
Views
myyear54
Jun 06, 2013 12:37 am
Never thought I would blog. And not sure what I can say here. But was having a real problem with barrier coming off in a very short time. Knew it was the shape of my stomach and scares, that was causing it. Tried every manufactuer out there. Lots of samples, but still no luck. And as a last resort tried Cymedostomy and got a sample from them. They are different from the rest. There products work. Barrier is like a second skin. It does not come off till you take it off. They offer ilieostomy, colostomy, and urostomy products. If your having problem with staying power, and not living because of problems give them a try. Now i can stay active and still work.

Mrs.A
Jun 08, 2013 11:26 pm
That is good news. I too have tried samples from Cymed and found their flange awesome. Then again they are the only two piece system I have tried thus far. With any luck the ones I asked Hollister for will be here soon and I will have a comparison to go by. I would of liked Cymed pouches even more if they were no glued to the flange b/c I was hoping to be able to take the pouch part off and clean it out with some water and vinegar between changes.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

lulu1313
Jun 10, 2013 8:10 pm
where do you get these products?
nbaker
Jun 11, 2013 3:40 am
Lulu, if you google Cymed Microskin, you can come up with a bunch of online companies that sell them. I bought a bunch for when I go swimming, they are flat and do not come off in the water, and totally waterproof, they are like a second skin, however, they are relatively expensive and I only get two days out of a wafer. I do not have insurance, so am self-paying and I only use them occasionally, but they are great, almost like wearing nothing.
TB Cat
Jun 11, 2013 4:08 am
Cymed one piece pouches are the best out there. I highly recommend them. The best thing about them is their ability to act as a secondary seal if you have a failure. They give you some time to react. Their two piece pouches are not so great.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
myyear54
Jun 11, 2013 8:29 am
nbaker, are you using ileostomy or colostomy, if you use ileostomy they are thicker and last a lot longer, colostomy are a lot thinner and do only last a short period.
nbaker
Jun 11, 2013 12:42 pm
myyear54, I have a colostomy.I bought for both, the thin for colostomy, and the larger, thicker that was recommended for ileostomy, both two pieces. I got about 6 hours with the one for colostomy, and 2 days with the thicker unit. I have a lot of problems with every product I have tried, the most I get out of a wafer is two days. I use Hollister, my friend uses the exact same system, and she changes her wafer every 5 days. Me, every other. However, I do really like the Microskins and do use them for swimming, etc.
TB Cat
Jun 11, 2013 2:42 pm
Here's the system that works for my and my Ileostomy:1. Clean and dry the area around the stoma. This is very important. Remove all of the old adhesive.2. Prep the Cymed one piece pouch by warming the flange seal with a hair dryer.3. Prep a Hollister no. 7805 moldable seal and place it on the pouch flange. 4. Apply a skin barrier around the stoma and let it dry.5. Warm up the pouch/seal assembly with a hair dryer and place it (centered) over the stoma.6. Apply slight pressure to the pouch for 20-30 seconds to seal it to the skin. I use a plastic ring made from a Tupperware container to apply the pressure equally around the stoma.7. Get on with your day and have fun.I hope this is useful to someone. I Change every 6 days and with the Cymed system I can shower in between changes with no problems. As most everyone knows, the best time to change is first thing in the morning when there is little or no flow to deal with.
njman
Jun 12, 2013 2:57 am
Cymed didn't last any time for me
Mrs.A
Jun 17, 2013 3:58 am
Well, not every appliance works for everyone. The good news is that mostly all are willing to give free samples. Just go to their sites or even call them. I am in the process of trying as many as I can get my hands on before I call in for my next order!
myyear54
Jun 19, 2013 8:34 am
Very true I can't wear Hollister they make me break out. But the samples make it eisier to find the one that does work for you.