Partners who do not understand

Replies
Views
KillaloeKnight
Oct 28, 2013 3:58 pm
Hi all this is gonna be short and I hope sweet, to all of you whose patner do not understand what you are going through and may appear cold and stand offish. The next time you vist your osto/stoma nurse then take them with you. My wife wanted to know more about what we all have attached so she made a point of coming in when I was in hospital to speak to one of the stoma/osto care team. This was of great help for her as she had never known anyone that has gone through what our world wide community has to deal with each and every day. So my osto/stoma brothers and sisters get your partners involved like I did. Both my wife and I found this to be very helpful indeed. Oh I only became a member of our community in August of this year after being rushed into hospital with Diverticulitis.

Primeboy
Oct 29, 2013 12:03 am
Well said, Killaloe, and excellent advice. Welcome to this community. PB
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Oct 29, 2013 1:50 am
I included my wife in every aspect of my ostomy. She was with me prior to the operation when they marked the spot. She was present after the operation for support and then she was there for the first change with the stoma nurse. She is part of the stoma team. I am very lucky to have a wife that supports me to no end.
Past Member
Oct 30, 2013 2:45 am
I would not be here today if it were not for my son and ex-spouse being there every step of the way from the moment I awoke from surgery to learn I now had the bag, to the first bag change, to carrying my gift bags out to the big trash, to helping me order everything from supplies to meals that are most suitable to the bag's temperament.I was so ashamed and embarrassed at first, but they just stepped up and acted like it was the most normal thing in the world. These gentlemen are all correct - if your loved ones aren't as confident at first - YOU be confident and they will follow suit. I know how difficult this life change is for all of us, but, Oh Lord, it is so much easier with acceptance and assistance. If you don't have any familial loved ones, get your closest friends involved. Mine gave me my first shower. I was humiliated but too weak to protest. You would have thought she'd been a 25 year stoma nurse the way she took charge. Like Kolan said, let others be part of your team. You will heal faster and they will be grateful to have something they can do. It's as much of a shock to them as it was to you. Go through recovery together. God Bless the husbands, wives, significant others, children, friends, brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers that helped restore us to our former selves. You'll never know how much it meant.
Primeboy
Oct 30, 2013 4:05 am
Social learning theory has made its mark in educational circles. Similarly, we cannot underestimate the value of a social context for healing. Loretta knocked this one out of the park. Bless them all! PB

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
gordonc
Oct 30, 2013 4:40 pm
well done to one and all, who have had a supportive partner/ wife/husband. about 18 months after my urostomy my x-wife walked out, she apparently couldn't come to terms with the bag, em it's me who had the bag,I tried everything to involve her but she wouldn't have any of it.That was 12 years ago and I have now met the most wonderful woman in the world who accepts me bag and all!!be lucky people.
Past Member
Oct 30, 2013 7:00 pm
Thank you for sharing your wonderful happy ending...which is really your beginning. And thank that wonderful woman from all the rest of us for her understanding and character. Good luck to you both in your future together. Loretta
clp2you
Nov 01, 2013 10:16 pm
My 13 year old grand daughter wants to go see the stoma team. I think her dad is okay with it and so am I.My wife of 34 years stood by me the whole time she never did a bag change but was there when I did. We were still active sexily and it never bothered her. I am sadden by all the losses after this life saving change and am glad my wife stayed with me to the end (she passed away in 2011).Hope all farewell in this new life and can find a hand to hold in troubled times.Charles
blessedtobealive50
Nov 11, 2013 7:05 am
thank you all for sharing. It gives me hope maybe some day I will meet someone that will be there for me with my ilescompty
Past Member
Nov 14, 2013 12:53 am
Oh my God, I am crying from all the beautiful, heartfelt and real words that prove real human beings who truly care still exist in this world. Thank you!