wegotthis

Replies
Views
wegotthis
Dec 10, 2014 4:43 pm
hi there, I am new to this so here goes....I am having a laparscopic end colostomy and have no idea what that intales. the places available are all for loop....any information I can get will be a big help..I am frightened but know I need it done...if you get a minute I would love to hear from you...Thank you in advance for your help...

Bill
Dec 18, 2014 6:29 am
Hello wegotthis. Welcome to the site where I feel sure you will find out quite a bit about what it entails to have the operation and manage the colostomy afterwards. I am always a bit saddened to think that the medical staff have not gone thoroughly through the relevant aspects of the operation for prospective patients. However. there is plenty of information on the internet if you want something to refer to. I had a similar procedure to yourself which was what most people know as 'keyhole-surgery'. This means that they use instruments through tiny holes in the abdomen rather than cutting you open and stitching up afterwards.It is a much less intrusive operation and the recovery time is a lot shorter. However, do not be fooled into thinking that you can do all sorts of things too soon as there is quite a high risk of getting a hernia from these types of procedures if you are not careful for quite some time post-op. If you are having a colostomy I would recommend investigating 'irrigation'as this will give you much more flexibility in the management of the condition and it will probably improve your life in comparison to wearing bags. for the first time this should only be attempted with the help of a stoma-nurse. I was told not to attempt it until at least 6 weeks after the operation so you will have plenty of time to think about this. This can also be explored on the web. If, as you say, you need to have it done then presumably there is no other option, then from my own experience I would say that there is little to be afraid of and a much better life to look forward to. Almost everyone has some 'adjustments' to make in terms of management, lifestyle and attitudes but if you embrace the changes as inevitable and more positive than the alternatives then the chances of coping well improve no end. I look forward to hearing how you get on.Best wishes Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

kolostomilitalat
Feb 23, 2015 10:00 am
Despite everything live so beautifulplease just smile to lifeI have stone for 13 years.