7 months on

Replies
Views
amietwin1
Dec 30, 2014 9:44 pm
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I have visited this site and I have to say quite a lot has happened the past 7(ish) months since having my stoma.

Since I last checked, I managed to find myself a new partner who really couldn't care about if I have a stoma or not and who is extremely caring for me. He's been one of the few people I have been able to count on when I'm feeling down, so I am quite chuffed with myself to have found him! I also learned that my small group of friends are completely understanding of the situation too, I don't really get out the house or have the energy to go out and see friends as much as I would like, so having them there really helps with my doubts.

I have also got a date for my dye tests and pre-op appointments, and my surgery date for a reversal! I could not be happier for the new year to come any sooner. I've been told good things about these odd feelings I get from time to time, when you feel like you're having a bowel movement, apparently that's one of my body's ways of telling me that I need to empty, great... Except from when you are at a family party and then dissapear with phone to the toilet!

I'm worried about having the reversal. Now obviously I will need to go to the loo to empty my internal pouch, but is it as fast as it is with a stoma? My main issue is when I don't take loperamide (I have to take 3 in the morning before I eat to set me up for the day, if I'm out and about) my output is quick and I feel weak a lot more (due to the high output). I know everybody is different so my asking is very pointless, I guess all I can say is it would be great to see into the future! Haha. I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me their story.

Dianne
Jan 14, 2015 6:56 pm
I had a colostomy on September 14, 2013 and a reversal on January 16, 2014, one year ago today!! It was the best day of my life. Prior to the reversal I read everything I could on what life would hold for me, bathroom use, stool softeners, etc. The doctor did explain all that to me after surgery and then again during my first post-op visit. All I can tell you is for the first few months, know where a bathroom is no matter where you are going. Everyone is different and you may have to get to a bathroom right when you feel it. Or you may have diarrhea. You just will have to wait and see. I was very fortunate and never had an issue except for the GAS. And that is still an issue - but I am sure not going to complain. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

digdug
Jan 29, 2015 11:57 pm
I glad your excited for your reversal.. I was so happy when I got the news that i could go proceed with plans to get reversal.I was so excited... Don't wana bum ya out but my reversal didn't take so after the 4 worst months of my life ..actually going days were I would sleep on a toilet not able to leave the bathroom I had to to go back to the bag... So just stay positive but know that things happen and may not work so just be prepared for a worst case scenario that way your not so devastated like I was.. ...BUT GOOD LUCK and if ya need advice just message me I'm a full member here