IRRIGATION/EXPLOSION

Replies
Views
Angelicamarie
Dec 11, 2016 10:01 am
Well those who told me irrigation was the way, im back on board my sleeves have arrived . I irrigated thursday and this morning, thursday was just not a good day the sleeve wasn't locked good. So you know It went on th floor. But this morning was a better day. I sat in a chair near toilet kept the sleeve hanging in the toilet top of toilet after i found my spot so after the water went, it cramped a little their was an explosion.i guess claudia said what going on!!!cause a burst of waste came out for the first time .so my fellow ostomates, how Long does it takes before claudia says ah i got it?but i will continue not giving up, Have a great one but always keep safety in mind Angelicamarie

mild_mannered_super_hero
Dec 10, 2016 9:16 pm
attach the sleeve to you with a ostomy belt, dont rely on the "click on" connection. cramping is normally a sign that the water is too cold, it should be at or slightly above your body temp of 98.6 , i use the coloplast irrigation kit which has a built in temp gauge on the water bag. if you dont have that set up, check the water temp at the facet with a good quality kitchen thermometer. once you get the bag filled with the correct temp water, put it in directly, dont dally as it will cool off quickly in the winter. that "burst " of out put is normal for the first few mins .....then things will slow down.keep us posted.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Dec 11, 2016 8:54 am
Hello Angelicamarie.
I agree with MMSH that having the water at the right temperature is helpful, although I just guess at it.
You say that you will keep pushing. This can have a couple of different meanings but if you mean pushing to get the output out, I would say that I have found my system reacts adversely to trying to push things through. What seems to work best for me is when I am concentrating on other things and simply let the stoma do its own thing. Also, I have made my own comfortable seat for the toilet as 'normal' toilet seats do not really suit me as an ostomate. It is just a foam-padded plank that allows me to sit right at the back of the toilet bowl so the sleeve goes between my legs and into the bowl without obstruction. After I've finished the seat id then taken off and stowed by the side of the toilet until I need it again. The seat is covered with an old pillow case, which is easy to remove for washing. It's all so much more comfortable than sitting on the toilet seats designed for people with completely different needs.
Best wishes
Bill
Angelicamarie
Dec 11, 2016 9:32 am
Hey friend, no I don't mean pushing the cone further , I mean continuing not giving up, I bought a new toilet so I could sit further back on the seat which would give me room when the bag is so full once I remove the Velcro it just goes crazy. That's a good idea about the pillowcase on the seat, because the clean up is horrible . But bill I will admit the last time I irrigated I seem to have more control, there was little clean-up to do .i think that's a better idea, to sit on the toilet with the sleeve between my legs, and don't lock let it go ,this is what your saying right? I will go for it next time. Thanks bill... Is your plumbing issues fixed yet!! I hope so, have they fixed the heat? I just want to thank you bill for all the things that you have shared and let's not forget educated me on. Angelicamarie
Bill
Dec 11, 2016 10:03 am
Hello Angelicamarie.
I find that with a padded plank on the actual bowl (without the normal pull-down seat) gives more space in front for the sleeve to go down. I've rigged it all up so that my laptop can be used while I wait for the process to run its course. This way I don't have to think about the stoma issues at all and it doesn't seem quite like a waste of my time sitting on the loo for so long.
Yes! our heating has now been fixed and we are snug and warm once again. Thanks for your concern.
Best wishes
Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Angelicamarie
Dec 11, 2016 10:16 am
wonderful warmth is always comforting , just now handling the irrigation, will wait before bringing the tablet perhaps a book!!!! hey friend have a great day as always thanks angelicamarie
Angelicamarie
Dec 11, 2016 1:15 pm
Bill, I asked you to delete the last message but I have, I had an ostamate send me a message, saying another one do I have to write so many.and that this is the first time she have spoke up for herself you see bill I mean no malicious intent. I have nervous energy and I'm a chatter box so blogging is good for me. I'm doing it perhaps it will help someone, like some of you'll have helped me. I told her write the administrator, I'm not stopping because she has a problem, my mom said when people go low I should go high some battles are not my fight. Angelicamarie
Bill
Dec 11, 2016 1:47 pm
Hello Angelicamarie.
I am not sure what the problem is with regard to blogging or posting on the forum a lot. Surely this site is about communicating with fellow ostomates about whatever it is that they want to talk about. I tend to be a prolific poster but so far, I have not had any adverse comments about the amount I write. Perhaps, for those who do not want to read all these posts, the sensible thing to do would be to skip the ones that are felt to be superfluous to one's own needs and only read those that we are interested in. A bit like discovering the ON-OFF switch on the TV for those programmes that we either like or dislike. I rarely watch any television but I would not deem to tell people that they should not broadcast stuff, just because it is not to my taste.
I have no doubt at all that there will be many people who have absolutely no interest in rhyming verse but that will not prevent me from continuing to post stuff that might be of interests to a minority. In fact many of my verses are written for and on behalf of just one person. Sometimes that person is me and other times it is for someone else who may have a problem. My expectation is, that if people do not want to read it, then they have the option of ignoring it and reading something that interests them more.
Best wishes
Bill
Angelicamarie
Dec 14, 2016 11:15 am
I'm still irrigating, but here's the problem, after irrigating I still have quite a bit of output will that stop? Angelicamarie
mild_mannered_super_hero
Dec 14, 2016 12:23 pm
how long do you wait for the water to return? it could take up to an hour. you mite try leaving the sleeve on after you finish {with the tail opening rolled up and clipped shut} and then have a little something to eat and a warm drink {coffee, tea, coco} this should stimulate anything remaining to come out. good luck
Bill
Dec 14, 2016 3:44 pm
Mine can take up to two hours to finish but it is well worth it with not having to worry about output the next day. I do what MMSH suggests and make the sleeve into a bag. This enables me to walk around or do whatever I want. I then leave it on overnight but rarely get any more output. It's just a precaution.
Best wishes
BIll
Angelicamarie
Dec 14, 2016 8:48 pm
Bill how do you sleep in it do anything slip out cause it burst on me once, so I don't totally feel comfortable walking around in it , do u use that clip to lock the sleeve? Angelicamarie
Angelicamarie
Dec 14, 2016 9:00 pm
Mild mannered super hero,I wait about 45 minutes, that clip that u lock the sleeve with I put on once, it let go so how do you lock the bottom without fear that it will stay that way!!!
mild_mannered_super_hero
Dec 14, 2016 10:52 pm
roll up the bottom till the sleeve is a manageable length, say 12 inches long, put a clothes pin on either side of it. in this fashion the plastic its self is holding the weight the pins only hold the plastic rolled up. i always wait 1 hour....better safe than sorry. after you finish irrigating have a light meal or a snack, this should stimulate your colon to finish emptying. wait 30 mins and then take off the sleeve and put on your regular wear pouch. good luck, keep us posted on your progress
Angelicamarie
Dec 14, 2016 11:39 pm
Hey mild mannered super hero, thanks I will try that I will have to get some clothes pins, because that I do not have. No problem I will keep you' ll posted because the more I do The more comes out, but I continue with so much output. I will time it for an hour thanks friend,Angelicamarie
Bill
Dec 15, 2016 6:17 am
Hello Angelicamarie.
My method for using the sleeve as a bag is quite simple: After washing it thoroughly, I squeeze all the air out by putting the sleeve on the side of the wash basin and a flannel on top of it, then I pull so that it slides under the flannel. so all the water and air is out. I then spray a deodorant in the top before folding.
My folds come in three big ones and two small: The first fold makes a bag about nine inches long, which leaves quite a lot of sleeve left. The next fold is level with the top (open end) of the sleeve and the next brings the bottom of the sleeve level with the top and the fold.( so all the ends are together). I them fold all the ends over twice about two inches, followed by folding them inwards on each other, which makes an airtight seal. This is all squeezed together with a freezer bag seal and I'm set for the night! ( I could not get on with the clip they provided) This makeshift bag could hold any output that I'm likely to have and it's easy to empty and clean out before I retire for the night. Most nights it remains empty except for wind. It always fascinates me how much wind I pass overnight and this bag acts as an accurate measure for that.
I hope this helps
Best wishes
Bill
Angelicamarie
Dec 15, 2016 8:00 am
Okay bill I will try this too but the folds and the storage bag is it going to hold, you haven't had no problems? I'll give it a shot . Thanks my friend angelicamarie,you have a great day you are probably up now, getting ready for your day to start.hows everything bill, nice and warm now, the problem is solved right!! It is always something isn't it? As u say best wishes!..
Bill
Dec 15, 2016 3:46 pm
Hello Angelicamarie.
I don't have any problems with this method but that's not to say it will work for everyone. It's been said many times on this site that people ought to experiment to see what suits them the best. I am still trying new things when people suggest them and some of them work better for me, others don't. Then secret is; to keep trying and not to give up.
Best wishes
Bill
Angelicamarie
Dec 15, 2016 4:43 pm
Bill and mild mannered super hero, I put some of what both of you told me to do , and I have had no outputas of yet so I did something right. Thanks friends!! Angelicamarie try to have a good day, there always obstacles,push them out the way.
Angelicamarie
Dec 19, 2016 11:23 am
Bill and Mmsh, I tried a little bit of what both of you told me this morning ,it definetly takes more than 45 minutes I like waited over an hour, now she still might be hard headed but as of now she expelled quite a bit . Thanks my fellow veteran ostomates!!'angelicamarie
Bill
Dec 19, 2016 12:59 pm
Hello Angelicamarie. Thanks for your feedback. I'm sure you will get the hang of it if you keep at it. I usually sit for a couple of hours - but then, I'm usually writing so I do not notice the time drifting by and when I've finished writing I'm quite surprised that the stoma has also done its thing for the night.
Best wishes
Bill
Angelicamarie
Jan 01, 2017 4:11 pm
Hey bill and Mmsh; it's been almost a month when do the stoma get it, mines seems to be a bit stubborn. Less it's coming about after irrigating, but how long do u have to do it , when none comes out!!! Angel
Bill
Jan 02, 2017 9:21 am
Hello Angelicamarie.
I do so wish that I could give you definitive answers to your questions. Unfortunately, we are all different and our stomas react in different ways. I can plod along for months in a predictable routine, thinking that I have mastered the control of my stoma and then, without warning it will throw the routine right out of the window and start doing its own thing, as if to tell me that I'm not really in control at all. I try to figure out what I'm doing or eating differently but invariably cannot identify anything. Eventually things settle down again and the routine gets back to some sort of stoma 'normality'. It seems to me that much of the time there is little that can be done except be patient and hope that things do not get so far out of hand that medics need to be involved. I still think that Irrigation has freed me up from the ties of the bag and toilet anxiety during the day, which has improved my quality of life no end during that period. The process of irrigation can occasionally be frustrating and irritating but placed in the wider context it gives me a much improved quality of life so I would still advocate persevering with it.
I hope that your efforts at irrigation take you to a place where it becomes much better for you than it might otherwise have been.
Best wishes
Bill
Angelicamarie
Jan 02, 2017 9:52 am
Thanks bill for replying to my message, I won't give up, but my stoma has control not me!!! Angelicamarie