Flow stoppage 2 post

Replies
Views
DonBrown1943
Jan 19, 2017 2:26 am
After researching and reading, I decided that my colostomy flow stoppage shade to be more than normal cleanout/refill cycle. It also had to be more than nutritional ignorance. I took a very close look at the paste adhesive the nurses had told us to use to protect the peritoneal skin, since the stomach hole in the flange model they were using was way larger than my stomach. I did several things. First, I transferred to a different medical supply service. Then, I ordered flanges and bags that fit my stomach correctly. As soon as they arrived, I changed everything and used less than half the paste the nurses had been using. Problem solved! My 72 hour "constipation" was over. One day later, I am now back to a normal flow routine. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I found something useful in every one of them that helped me overcome this obstacle. It really is true; this stomach is mine, not the nurses, and I have learned much that she doesn't know since she doesn't have a colostomy and won't listen to patients who do. Thanks, everyone.

DonBrown1943
Jan 20, 2017 12:53 am
Sorry for all the typos. My spell checker changed stoma to stomach every time. There are too many other "corrections", so I'm just going to let them go. You know what I meant, I'm sure.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Jan 20, 2017 6:08 am
Hello Don.
Thanks for both your posts as the first one is easier to read now that I know stomach=stoma.
I'm glad that everything is sorted out for you now you are taking control and perhaps that's a lesson we should all take note of.
I find that my stoma nurses will listen to what I have to say but I usually only go to see them when the problem is resolved and I am asking them for something to assist me that I can only get from them - as the gatekeepers to the services.
Brest wishes
Bill
DonBrown1943
Jan 20, 2017 7:52 pm
Hi Bill. I have been following your posts on mini-models in another blog and I love them! We come from different belief systems but truth is where you find it. Thanks for your reply to me. I felt like an idiot when I figured out the problem. I started not to post it but I figured I wasn't the only rookie so I posted for anyone's information and use. As I learn, or need to learn, I will post again.
By the way, my BA degree,major in religion, included many courses in psychology. Many of your concepts are taught as-is but attributed to some past psychologist. My goal was to be a Baptist minister with a specialty in counseling, both individual and marital. Now that I am past my career, I hope I helped a few people to find healing.
Bill
Jan 20, 2017 9:26 pm
Hello Don.
Thanks for letting me know that you read about the mini models and I am not surprised if someone else also thought the concepts were useful. When I first published them it went with the comment that they were all 'common-sense', in that they were what I called undeniably obvious. My own 'discovery' of them were very much in order to help my clients understand some of the things that were troubling them and preventing them from moving on emotionally in life. I too hope that somewhere down the line I have been of help to these people.
As for religions, for a while, I also studied at a theological college where most of my fellow students were hoping to go into one ministry or another. As this was not my aim, it was an interesting experience having to explain where I stood on such matters. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that the simplest and easiest way to state my position, without causing offence and trying not to undermine what other people believed in was to liken my journey of enlightenment to that of Jesus Christ.
From what I can gather, Jesus was leader, rather than a follower. There were plenty of religions he could have followed but did not. He thought about things, worked out things for himself and passing on his knowledge freely to others who might want to listen.
I believe this is a GREAT ROLE MODEL and epitomises the concept of Self-Organised Living And Reflecting (SOLAR). There are some fundamental truths out there for anyone to find who wishes to look for them. Other pioneer thinkers found them long before Jesus came on the scene but that does not make his contribution any less important. The fact that many people can think independently and come to similar conclusions is surely testament to those ideas being valid, whether they be part of an organised religion or some other belief system.
Most of my past clients would have instantly rejected anything to do with organised religion or any other intimation of 'authority' or telling them what they ought to think or do. Thus, encouraging them to think things through for themselves and believe whatever they want, seemed like a reasonable way to attract and keep their attention long enough for them to learn that they could indeed work things out for themselves without the help of an 'experts'.
The 'Constructive Conversation' approach was designed to get them talking to themselves with the minimum amount of interference or input from me. I used to tell them that my only interest was to listen to what 'they' had to say so that I could publish their valuable thoughts. Not many people they came across had this as an aim and I think they appreciated the fact that I did in fact publish a few volumes of these conversations, word for word, just as they happened so that they were and are kept as a lasting monument to them and their efforts.
Best wishes
Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
DonBrown1943
Jan 20, 2017 10:28 pm
Bill, it truly appears to me that the biggest difference between us is my belief in the Divinity of Jesus, although for some people with an atheistic outlook, I would have to rephrase a lot of things to make them sound more neutral. My conservative fellow ministers would get quite upset with me over that, but it allowed me to reach people who would not talk to other ministers. As I said, truth is where you find it. Most of the truths of Christianity have been known for hundreds if not thousands of years. It is a sad and serious mistake to restrict yourself to only sources inside the confines of organized religion.
Bill
Jan 21, 2017 7:53 am
Hello Don.
With an outlook such as yours, It sounds as if we are basically on the same wavelength as far as communicating with other people and not restricting ourselves with regard to the sources of our knowledge and inspiration.
Over many years of trying to fathom what puts people off religion, I feel that one of the main reasons is that these organisations(with a few exceptions) are a bit like organised education, in that they have a 'curriculum' approach, which tries to 'tell' people what is right and what is wrong (from their perspectives) - often accompanied by implied 'threats' as to what might happen if the people do not comply with their doctrine.
Most of my former clients were, in one way or another, abused as children and as a consequence, were very sensitive to all sorts of bullying, whether that be overt or covert. The curriculum approach, that inclines organised religions to insist they are right and other people are therefore wrong, comes across as a form of bullying, even when it is disguised in a cloak of overt, well-meaning kindness.
One of the other things that exposes the underlying dominance factor in most organisations, is the phenomenon of 'hierarchy', where a few individuals set themselves up as in charge, better, more deserving of respect than others. This hierarchical approach is an ideal environment for potential bullies to ply their trade. We witness this when the organisations are structured so that women are allowed to join, but are not allowed to occupy any form governance role. They are of course, allowed to clean the premises and arrange the flowers, as long as they do not get above their designated 'station'.
From an outsider's perspective, this type of hierarchy is a direct descendent of the practice of slavery, which itself was built on bullying.
The sensitivity to bullying, became apparent in many of the 'Constructive Conversations' where my clients were talking to themselves about all sorts of issues and problems they were trying to come to terms with in their past and present lives. They were damaged by it in the home; did not do well with it at school and tended to react adversely to any hint of it in their lives after that.
Like you said, there are some religious individuals (and educationalists) who have the insight and personality to go against the trends of the conservative organisations and are able to relate to people in a more acceptable way.
I believe that it is those individuals who will have the most positive influence on the people who need help and it sounds as if you are one of the enlightened ones.
Best wishes
Bill
DonBrown1943
Jan 24, 2017 2:31 am
Bill, somehow I have lost (forgotten) the chain where you posted your mini-model essays. Could you please remind me where they are? It's too bad they are not in a dedicated column so everyone would be able to find them easily.
Bill
Jan 24, 2017 6:34 am
Hello Don.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who forgets things like this. I sometimes spend hours searching for stuff that I feel sure I know where it is but it still eludes me.
However, in the case of the mini-models, the administrators have made it easy to find as there were so many hits and correspondence that it went to the top of the list in 'popular blogs'. The mini-models were in fact part of a discussion following the poem called 'GRATITUDE' - which is also the title of the blog.
I hope this helps.
Best wishes
Bill
DonBrown1943
Jan 25, 2017 6:55 pm
Thanks, Bill.
DonBrown1943
Jan 25, 2017 7:29 pm
In my earlier life, I was one of those brilliant students who were taught to memorize facts and parrot answers back on tests and exams. My crisis came when I took calculus in college. Suddenly I was not so brilliant. I was functioning at the EAT level at that time. After a couple of failures, my self-image was at its lowest point ever. It took several years for me to realize that me desires for my life path and goals were more important than what others thought I should be doing. I moved to the ETA level. I got my BA, major in Religion minor in Psychology, and became a pastor,doing a lot of counseling. After a burn out period(emotions and expectations were too high), I reevaluated and gradually moved to the TAE level. I resumed counseling but on an unpaid basis so I also maintained a career in Sales and Technical Writing, mostly in management level, until lung cancer, a heart attack, and the onset of COPD forced me into early retirement. Then the colostomy last October forced me back into the TAE or the TEA level. That's my past history. Looking back on the total process, I don't think I would change a thing because I am comfortable with myself. Your comments, Bill or anyone else?