Considering Colostomy Refashion Surgery - Any Experiences?

Replies
Views
SpicyRamen01
Apr 20, 2023 8:25 am

I had a colostomy since birth due to Hirschsprung's disease, which was made permanent. In 2014, we noticed it started to retract and pull away from the skin. I just recently saw a colorectal surgeon, and it looks like surgery is the only option after all the products used in the past were failures.

Can I ask if anybody has had refashion surgery, as this will be my first time to my knowledge going under, and I wanted to hear people's experiences?

- SpicyRamen

Axl
Apr 20, 2023 11:43 am

If I am understanding your question, yes, I have had one; it is not uncommon. I had a prolapsed stoma. They just cut around the stoma, pull a little through, snip it off, then reattach it to the abdominal wall. It is not a huge process, but the diameter of your stoma will be larger afterward.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

SpicyRamen01
Apr 20, 2023 1:37 pm
Reply to Axl

Thank you, that has eased my mind. Fingers crossed it is as simple after the scan.