A Little Blood Around the Stoma

Replies
Views
knitter
Jun 08, 2023 5:13 pm

Hello. Next week I hit my 6-week mark after ileostomy surgery. Everything is going well. However, today a home care nurse visited and I changed my pouch in front of her. A small amount of blood appeared, which came from the stoma. She said it wasn't a concern as long as it wasn't profuse. She also said to notify my surgeon should the blood intensify, which certainly makes perfect sense.

Anybody had this experience?

CrappyColon
Jun 08, 2023 10:36 pm

Those stomas are big babies when it comes to being touched. There's no pain because there are no nerve endings, but you can barely touch them and they bleed. So if it's from being touched, bumped, etc., it's normal.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Hisbiscus
Jun 10, 2023 6:03 am

Yep, happens to me all the time.

knitter
Jun 10, 2023 2:29 pm

Thanks so much! Just what I needed to put my mind at rest. Actually messaged the surgeon's office and they said just to keep an eye on it. But it seems to have gone away on its own.

Appreciate the quick response!