Diversion Colitis - Symptoms, Pain, and Treatment Experiences?

Replies
Views
Nick74
Jul 02, 2023 12:24 pm

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience with diversion colitis?

Symptoms, pain, treatment?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Nick.

Mayoman
Jul 03, 2023 12:14 am

Hi, yes I've had that painful condition. I don't get any of that anymore and no more draining from my butt!!

I was treated with Flagyl and Colifoam Rectal Steroid Foam. They helped a lot. When I had a bad bout, I saw a suggestion to use Flagyl and Cipro together. My doctor agreed to let me try this. After using these three medications for about two weeks, I saw huge improvements. This could be pure coincidence but I'm happy to say I haven't had any of the painful past symptoms since I finished the meds. All the pain and itching stopped.

One important thing I learned was about the two openings in your stoma. I have a loop ileo with a J-pouch created. I've had the J-pouch disconnected but not removed. This is where the two openings in the stoma come into play. One opening is the connection to the J-pouch, the other opening is for the waste going into the bag.

One day I noticed little bits of carrot in my output and began thinking about how that carrot got there. What I figured out is that if it's very liquid, the waste can be sucked into the opening connected to the J-pouch. The J-pouch is still attached to my anus so what goes down that tube and into the J-pouch comes out my butt!! As with the carrot!! When lying in bed, the liquid sloshes around in the baggie and I think the bits of food can end up coming out the butt. There is a great solution for this called "Absorbagel." It comes in little packs and looks like a teaspoon of salt packaged in little packets. Two of these little sachets will absorb a whole bag of liquid poop and turn it into a sludge-type puddle in the bottom of your baggie. In this thicker form, it will not go down the wrong "tube."

The tiny bits of food stuck in the pouch without peristalsis cause an annoying infection. This used to be a huge problem for me up to a few years ago.

Using the Absorbagel seems to have put the finishing touches on correcting my problem with leakage and cramping pains.

It is so nice to not have to deal with all this crap anymore, only the crap in the bag!! LOL.

This worked for me but you should chat with your doc about it and ask about my solution. I'm not a doc so this is simply a tip on what you might try. The Absorbagel was the key to fixing my problem, I believe.

Magoo

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

gentlejohn
Jul 03, 2023 2:45 pm

Disuse proctitis has to be distinguished from proctitis from IBD. Mayoman above sounds like pouchitis, which is a different situation. The best treatment for disuse proctitis is short-chain fatty acids. The best treatment for proctitis from IBD is cortisone and mesalamine suppositories or enemas. Suppositories at bedtime are easier to manage. See your doctor and let them determine. Good luck.