Red Halo and White Spots Around Stoma - Should I Be Concerned?

Replies
Views
kenpem
Jul 30, 2023 10:11 pm

Hi folks

Ostomate here, since November 2022. After a roller-coaster ride to get here, things finally seem to be settling down.

I've noticed a few times before a dark red halo around the stoma itself. It's not uncomfortable and doesn't seem to be growing. Is this anything to worry about?

Also, note the white spots/threads...?
Login to see image

Maried
Jul 31, 2023 4:47 am

Kinda looks like inflammation... You need to check with your medical team... ASAP it looks deep within the tissue. Many times I have a red area around my stoma... but this looks a little deeper. Do you use a barrier ring before putting on your bag?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

kenpem
Jul 31, 2023 5:48 am

Yeah, I always use a barrier ring under the wafer. It's part of my leak-management recipe.

AlexT
Jul 31, 2023 2:19 pm

Looks like it's right where your barrier ring sticks. Might be a reaction to that; could try a different brand.