Rectal Mucus Post-Ileostomy - Frequency and Triggers?

Replies
Views
Doe1mama
May 29, 2024 6:22 pm

I was rereading the comments about rectal mucus. My husband is 2 years post-ileostomy and only had mucus twice in the past. This week it's happened twice in one week. From what I was reading, it didn't look like there was any correlation between what's eaten and mucus creation. And no way to stop it except further surgery. Right now it's not a big issue, and we're hoping it doesn't become one. Just curious, do people notice it happens anytime during the day or more when sitting on the john?

Andrew82
May 29, 2024 7:04 pm

Hello! I had my ileostomy back in 2005 and still have my rectal stump. While I also am not aware of any food correlation, I can tell you that overstimulation with caffeine can cause mine to drain a bit. But it takes a lot of caffeine for me to be affected. I suspect that has to do with how sensitive someone is to stimulation. I also find that if I'm sick, which isn't very often, I will occasionally have a little secretion near the end of the illness. For the most part, it really isn't an issue for me all these years later. I probably have mucus drain about every few months tops, if that.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Doe1mama
May 29, 2024 8:06 pm
Reply to Andrew82

I'm hoping that my husband goes back to less frequently too. I might test the caffeine, although I don't think he's doing anything differently.

blaineshadow
May 30, 2024 4:08 am

I'm almost at the 1-year mark with my ileostomy (full large intestine removal, highly advised against reversal), but spring allergies kick-started my head sinuses. The doctor told me if the body produces sinus mucus, then it's likely the rectal stump will increase its production level as well, be it illness or sinus-related. It might be related, but you can always ask the doctor. Plus, if it's pink or grey, it's not a major concern from my understanding, but red like blood can be a problem that needs to be looked into further.

Doe1mama
May 31, 2024 4:07 pm
Reply to blaineshadow

That is very interesting, because my husband's allergies were in full gear the past 2 weeks and that's also when he noticed rectal mucus starting more frequently. I'd like to hear if anyone else experienced that.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play