Convex with a hernia? I don't get it.

Replies
Views
ostomychik
May 31, 2024 1:20 am

Hi - I think I am missing something... Sorry y'all, I am not quite 2 months out from surgery, so I have lots of new things happening. Most recently, a hernia (looks like I have half an orange under my stoma). I've done a lot of looking around here and googling, and the general advice seems to be a convex bag. I don't get it. My hernia obviously pokes out; the convex also is outward, so you have this sort of > < connection. I don't see how that works. Shouldn't it be concave > > for a better fit? What am I missing? Thank you for any help.

Hisbiscus
May 31, 2024 3:50 am

You must have the Coloplast flip pouch. That's the only one I know of that is outward. Try a different convex bag maybe? There are many out there. Mine does not go outward on the base, only by the stoma a bit, and that is so when you put the bag on, it pushes the stoma outward inside your bag.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
May 31, 2024 4:19 am

I tried convex, and they didn't work for me either. Flat 1 piece, and I haven't had any issues.

Ben38
May 31, 2024 5:56 am

Your hernia is quite small for now, so flat bags should be okay as long as you're not having leaks. Keep using them. Think of convex as sucking; they suck down on our skin and give a stronger fix than a flat bag. That's what they're intended to do. Not saying it works out like that for everyone. My hernia is the size of a large melon now, but my flat bags are working okay for now. I haven't had any leaks, so I haven't felt the need to change to convex. Maybe I will need to in the future, but if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

IGGIE
May 31, 2024 7:56 am
Reply to Ben38

G'day Ben, are you for real? A hernia the size of a large melon and it sounds like you're not going to do anything about getting it removed. Ben, you have to have that fixed, mate. Get it removed. Regards, IGGIE

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Axl
May 31, 2024 9:03 am

Hi O

Yes, what you see is correct. The convex appliance presses into the skin and provides gentle pressure around the perimeter of the stoma for a better seal in most cases. It works for many people, including me.

ron in mich
May 31, 2024 1:01 pm

Hi all, I would think it depends on how far out the stoma sticks out. If it's at skin level or below, then a convex wafer makes sense.