A Sort of Date Finally

Replies
Views
Hcbaggie
May 31, 2024 8:02 pm

Hi all, last time I posted I had been told I hadn't been added to the waiting list. I have now, sort of, been given a date. First, I went for a pre-op to have my gallbladder out on 10th June. I was happy about this as I have a golf ball-sized stone. Yesterday, I had a phone call from the pre-op team to say I was booked in for a colostomy on 19th July, but the two surgeons were going to see if they could find a date to do it at the same time. I rang up the colorectal secretaries to see if they knew what was happening as it was getting close. My secretary wasn't there, but they looked in the system. It was showing gallbladder on 10th June and colostomy on 19th June, not July. So I may be having my surgery on one of 3 dates. It's very hard to psyche myself up.
Also, I am meant to be visiting family on 11th July, and don't know if I'd be up to it physically. I know I will probably be a mental mess lol. My husband will be driving and it will be a 4-hour drive. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Hisbiscus
May 31, 2024 9:51 pm

Congrats and try not to be too nervous. Keep us posted and wishing you a smooth surgery and recovery.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

eefyjig
May 31, 2024 10:33 pm

Hoping they can do both on June 10th or 19th and you'll be as ready as possible for your family visit. I went to my nephew's outdoor wedding two weeks after having my j-pouch creation/second temp stoma surgery. It was a bit much but I did it. Laid back in the car for the two-hour drive and left early. Best of luck to you, it'll be fine!

IGGIE
Jun 01, 2024 12:10 pm

One day at a time, HC. Regards, IGGIE.

aTraveler
Jun 01, 2024 1:04 pm

If you have the colostomy surgery on June 19th, that gives you a little more than 3 weeks before a 4-hour drive. A lot depends on if you have open surgery or laparoscopy. Open surgery involves a longer recovery. If complexities develop during the surgery, that can add to your recovery time. After the surgery, you will probably spend at least a week in the hospital — your digestive system needs time to recover. During the week, you will start on a clear liquid diet, next liquid diet, then low fiber/low residue. For open surgery, you will need physical/occupational therapy since your stomach core muscles will need to be strengthened. More importantly, you will be taught how to manage your colostomy — emptying your bag; changing your colostomy appliance (bag + wafer that attaches to your skin); caring for your skin around the stoma. As you can see, it is a lot to accomplish in a 1-week hospital stay. With any complications (e.g., infection, trouble getting the appliance to adhere to skin, blood pressure drop, blood clots), your hospital stay could extend to two or more weeks. Once you are released from the hospital and sent home, you are now solely responsible for managing your colostomy (stoma). Many struggle initially, but with your husband's support and good hospital training, you may grasp stoma management quickly. If things align quickly, you may be ready to travel on a 4-hour drive. Praying for you to be ready for the trip.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Hcbaggie
Jun 01, 2024 1:33 pm

Thanks. I'll let you all know when it's going to be. 👍

rlevineia
Jun 02, 2024 2:33 pm

You'll be fine. It's all about confidence. I missed my birthday, but lived to celebrate many more. Good trade-off. I had to return to Mayo, 16 months after an ileostomy, for a proctectomy (my tukis hurt). Rode home in a big pickup truck, 4 hours. Took oxycodone and could handle the bounce. Cars were fine, smooth going. Good nickname for your new "buddy" - Sad Haggis!

Hcbaggie
Jun 03, 2024 2:09 pm

It has now been confirmed I am having both the gallbladder out and colostomy on 10th June. Now I start stressing lol but at least it's confirmed.

aTraveler
Jun 03, 2024 2:35 pm

That's a lot better. You have a full month to recover and learn to manage your ostomy. Praying the surgery goes well and you are able to relax and receive love from your family.