Soaker Blues - Is It Safe to Soak Bag-Free with a Stoma?

Replies
Views
Rene
Jan 24, 2024 6:59 pm

Hello ostomates. I found I prefer bag changes after a shower. The chance to shower bag-free, just me and the stoma. Good for peristomal health as well. I do, however, miss a good tub soaking. Is it okay to do that bag-free with the stoma fully immersed in water?

AlexT
Jan 24, 2024 8:05 pm

Yep. Stomas like to take a warm bubbly once in a while.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Jan 24, 2024 9:01 pm

Every morning for me!!

Morning glory
Jan 24, 2024 10:56 pm

I would not go bag-free with my ileostomy.

CrappyColon
Jan 25, 2024 4:01 pm

Ileostomies aren't known for being on their best behavior, so unless you have yours down to a science… your bath will probably be joined by some effluence πŸ˜‰

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
w30bob
Jan 25, 2024 9:55 pm

Hi Rene,

The issue with taking a bath versus a shower is that in a shower the fresh clean water is constantly flowing over your stoma and surrounding area. When you take a bath, the soap residue as well as dirt washed off you and dead skin cells all float on the top of the bath water. If you let that sit around your stoma area, it's not the best thing. And as you get up out of the water, that residue will deposit itself on your skin as well. So at the very least, have a pitcher or large cup full of clean water and wash off the area around your stoma as you get up out of the bath water. Other than that... have a blast!!

;O)

AlexT
Jan 26, 2024 2:50 am
Reply to w30bob

That's why you rinse off with a quick shower after your bubbly bath, duh. 😁

Shawn57
Jan 29, 2024 4:11 pm

Yes, I always shower before I change and give the stoma "a vacation." As for a bath, if you can time it right so that the stoma is asleep, then go for it, but I haven't had much luck with the timing. So when I take a soak, I do it with the bag on. But definitely shower well after you soak if you're doing it without a bag.

wiljpeters
Jan 31, 2024 6:25 pm

I am apparently the odd man out. I've never done the "naked shower" or bath. I have two ostomies, so there isn't really any way to do so without issues. You all have better-behaved stomas than I.

charlie
Oct 07, 2024 2:39 am

I always bathe bag-free; yes, sometimes the timing is wrong, but I don't care, I too deserve a soaking. I have always used an antiseptic (Dettol) in my bath. I find the soaking gets the skin clean in all the nooks and crannies that get missed from day to day.