How Long Does It Take for an Ileostomy Reversal?

Replies
Views
nandezalee
Jun 02, 2024 1:18 am

Hey guys, I'm new to this. It's barely 2 weeks since I had an ileostomy done, and my doctor told me it's reversible. Does anyone know how long it takes for it to happen? I'm scared, to be honest, because I feel like I will hurt it or my bag will pop 😫😫

aTraveler
Jun 02, 2024 4:05 am

Times vary, you need to talk with your surgeon. If the original surgery was difficult, it will take longer. Your surgeon knows the specifics of your case. If you want a successful reversal, you need to manage your ostomy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Jun 02, 2024 4:15 am

Well... if you're a good candidate for reversal, 4 to 6 months is the usual time frame. You could get one later than that if your situation requires it.

A stoma is pretty tough. A mild bump won't hurt it. Just be careful the first couple of months... until your mind always knows it's there.

Bags are tough, unlikely you'll pop it. When I first got my colostomy, I was so careful around my stoma. Wouldn't get it wet. Was cautious touching the bag and wafer.

Now it's 17 months since my surgery. I take the wafer and bag off and shower with the stoma hanging out. Water and soap won't hurt it. But... do NOT use soap that contains fragrance, lotions, or dyes. Those chemicals will interfere with wafer adhesive. I use Cetaphil soap.

You can gently wipe off your stoma with a wet paper towel. Great for cleaning poop bits off your stoma in the shower. Do NOT use tissue paper.

You'll get used to your stoma. In the meantime, read/research all you can about reversal. Especially think about your situation. Why you got the ileostomy. There are many success stories on the internet. And some unsuccessful tales. Learn all you can to make an informed choice.

Hisbiscus
Jun 02, 2024 1:46 pm

You won't hurt it. Just be gentle when cleaning around it. Mine will bleed sometimes if I get too rough, but I've had mine since 2017, I do believe. So it doesn't scare me anymore.

Mine has never popped yet, only twice when I had gas in the bag in my sleep. It blew up like a balloon. Not really a pop, but the force of the gas pushed it off. I'm a better bag now though, so it has not happened in years. It still blows up, but I wake up and let the air out.

Try not to eat gassy foods before bed or drink gassy drinks like soda pop.

You will be fine. All these feelings are normal to have at first, but as you get used to things, you will settle in just fine.

nandezalee
Jun 02, 2024 11:56 pm

Thank y'all ☺️ I don't know what I would have done. Y'all are the best.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
madronaapt
Jun 04, 2024 3:25 am
Reply to Beachboy

Very good info. Thanks.

IGGIE
Jun 08, 2024 1:31 pm
Reply to nandezalee

G-Day Nandzalee,

Some of us here, after having our stoma for a long time, have decided to stay with the stoma rather than go for a reversal. It becomes part of you, and it's a known fact that you can deal with it as opposed to a reversal with an unknown outcome. Like mine. I had a J-Pouch for 18 years with 18 years of problems, so I got my surgeon to give me a complete irreversible ileostomy and got my butt sewn up, and it was the best thing I could have done. Walk before you can run, my friend, one step at a time. Regards, IGGIE