Adjusting to Life with an Ileostomy - Seeking Advice and Insights

Replies
Views
hangingin
Jun 03, 2024 7:40 pm

I'm home two weeks after spending three months in the hospital (septic shock) - then step down - then a rehab facility. Still trying to wrap my head around my new ileostomy world - does it get easier to accept as time goes on? Any insight is deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

Morning glory
Jun 03, 2024 8:06 pm

It will get easier if you allow it to. For most of us, it was a life-saving surgery. I don't know your circumstances; maybe you can elaborate more. Keep in mind an ostomy doesn't define who you are as a person. Welcome to the group.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Justbreathe
Jun 03, 2024 9:25 pm

Hello Hangingin and welcome to the best place for information from people who live or have lived the “stoma life”. Many have a different view on their newfound journey - some thrilled to have a stoma, some not so much. Some aren't even sure which stoma they have… colostomy, ileostomy, or urostomy and in fact learned it right here - others had great medical assistance, after the fact. All are welcome and many participants try to assist in helping with answers based on their own experiences.
So, you've come to the right place. There's great information on routines, product info, foods, and surprising new bodily functions you may have questions about. Occasionally there is some humor as well. My best remedy for anything is laughter and music in that order. I recommend taking some time to let your body heal - my goodness, a 3-month stint in the hospital and then rehab… recoup time now butterfly - jb

Login to see image

Mysterious Mose
Jun 03, 2024 11:35 pm

You sound like where I was about 14 months ago. Fresh out of 3 months in the hospital and rehab followed by another 2 weeks in the hospital. Sepsis, pneumonia, pancreatitis. So, the short answer is yes, it will. It will take a little time for your body to adjust to its new normal. Since we are all different, it may be longer or shorter than someone else here. There are people on this site who have had an ileostomy for over 60 years. I personally have met a fellow who has been up Mt. Everest with his. You're going to get there. Well, maybe not Everest. But, who knows. :-)

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone is going to have an answer that may suit your situation. This is a friendly bunch of folks who are quite used to talking about things that others may find distasteful. Given your location, I'll bet there is at least one local group that meets frequently. There is one I attend every month and it has been a blessing. Face-to-face contact with others like myself has been a big plus.

So, hang in there. You will probably have your share of bad days. We all have. They usually get far fewer with experience. And welcome to MaO!

Daniel

AlexT
Jun 03, 2024 11:49 pm

Time heals everything. Get on with living your life to your new normal as soon as you can; dwelling on the past is terrible for your mind.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
aTraveler
Jun 04, 2024 1:54 am

The best remedy is to learn to manage your ileostomy. If it was anything like my experience, after a 3-month stay in the hospital followed by a 1-month rehab stay, you should have a good idea of how to manage your ostomy. Now that you are on your own, you will have to learn how to manage complications — odors, leaks, skin irritation, gas, etc. You will learn about different products — you can get free samples to try from many of the major vendors. Learn about the products provided by Coloplast, ConvaTec, and Hollister. If you take your ostomy seriously, you will become quite comfortable with it.

Beachboy
Jun 04, 2024 5:57 am

Welcome to our little corner of the World Wide Web. You've had quite a battle. It is strange at first... having a stoma. I remember the first time after surgery my ostomy nurse took off the bag and wafer. I couldn't believe a piece of intestine was now sticking out of my abdomen. I told her, "Thank God I'm already lying in a hospital bed." I just cried.

But then, we recover. We adapt. We thrive. Ostomy nurses taught me how to change my wafer and bag... but the good folks on this website taught me how to care for my stoma... how to live with it. Unless you have an ostomy... you really don't know what it's all about.

Hang in there.

ron in mich
Jun 04, 2024 12:18 pm

Hi Hangin, welcome to the site! There are lots of good people here from all over the world. I've had my ileostomy for 30 some years after battling UC and now Crohn's. You will go through stages of grief, anxiety, anger, and hopefully acceptance where having and caring for your ostomy will be a piece of cake, especially with the products out there nowadays and the wound care ostomy nurses to help.

TerryLT
Jun 04, 2024 7:54 pm

Hi Hanginin, let me add my welcome to you. As others have said, you have come to the right place. Things will get better and you will adjust. This site was a lifesaver for me and I don't know what I would have done without it. Ask lots of questions and don't be shy; nothing you ask will shock us. You might even learn a little ostomy humor! It's a real thing! It sounds like you have been through the wringer, so allow yourself to heal and get used to your new normal. Don't expect too much of yourself too soon. Be kind to yourself. We are all here for you, so stay in touch.

Terry

hangingin
Jun 05, 2024 12:51 am
Reply to Morning glory

Thank you so much - yes, the surgery saved my life. One day I was working in Manhattan and running 30 miles a week - then I just went down with UC and well, everything exploded. I just discovered this wonderful community because I have felt very alone - no more!

hangingin
Jun 05, 2024 12:53 am
Reply to TerryLT

Thank you, Terry - I have felt so welcomed, and yes, I will ask lots of questions. There is so much I need to learn; I won't be shy. Thank you.

Best,

Nancy

hangingin
Jun 05, 2024 2:20 am
Reply to Justbreathe

Thank you so much - I am trying to give myself some grace and time to heal in every way.

I feel so fortunate to have found this community.

IGGIE
Jun 08, 2024 1:19 pm

G-Day Hangingin, you know we all started just the same way as you. "Wow, my life has ended with this. How can I ever go out in public? What if?" Yes, what if it happens? We always let our mind overtake reality. Your name is the secret "Hangingin," and each day it gets better and better, and soon you will be on here giving new members advice, and you will, like me, come to love your stoma. Regards, IGGIE