Considering Ileostomy Reversal After 13 Years and Crohn's Remission

Replies
Views
Ostopro
Feb 24, 2019 5:38 am

So I am 43, and considering a reversal after having my ileostomy for 13 years. I adopted my 2 kids soon after it was installed and so it was me stopping the surgeons from reversing it until the kids were less dependent on me for their daily needs. Now they need me less I'm considering the reversal.

I have been in remission from Crohn's for 13 years too and the freedom of the ileostomy has been great. For all it's negatives, being able to have freedom from a sick bed, travel, raising kids, watching them play sports, etc. has all been amazing!

I had a rectovaginal fistula right before the ostomy that was extremely painful; think of it as a bridge for poop to travel from my rectum to my vaginal wall, ooh how the poop would burn. 

Surgeons can't guarantee that it's gone but they 'hope' that it is after 13 years of bowel rest.

Has anyone had this, and a reversal, to know if it did go away in time? Or is it likely still there laying in wait.

I don't want to be trapped, sick with Crohn's but a reversal now that I'm still young would be nice.

Puppyluv56
Feb 24, 2019 10:42 pm

Ostopro, 

i had a Neuroendrocrine tumor in my rectum that was also growing into the muscle of the vaginal wall. It had to all be removed because of previous radiation damage and reconstruction surgery in addition to the Ostomy! A lot of surgery and no going back for me but wish you luck! Hopefully you Doctors can give you the information you need to make your decision! 

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.