Managing Urostomy Leg Bags with Shorts in Summer

Replies
Views
lfranklin1864
Jun 10, 2024 9:12 pm

Hello community!

Now that it's summertime, I have a question for those who need to wear leg bags because of high output from our urostomy. At work, I wear long pants, no issue, or if I'm out and have long pants/jeans, no issue. However, now that it's summer and I'll be vacationing in the southern US and doing a lot of walking, I need to find something that I can cover the leg bag with while wearing shorts.

I'm using Coloplast products and with just the adaptor for the leg bag, a 1000ml bag will hang down just below my knee, far enough that even the longer shorts I have won't cover enough of it.

In the event it's relevant for clothing comments, I'm male.

Thank you!

Leigh

Kas
Jun 10, 2024 10:27 pm

Found this on Amazon - about $16

Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

w30bob
Jun 11, 2024 1:10 am

Have you looked at CathWear? They look like black underwear, which is quite fashionable to wear under your shorts these days.

https://www.rehabmart.com/post/discreet-catheter-bags

:-)

Bill
Jun 11, 2024 6:13 am
Reply to w30bob

When first reading Ifranklin's post, I began thinking of how I might overcome this problem. (even though I don't have a urostomy - I like a challenge!)
My immediate thoughts were to use the shorts as a receptacle for the bag/container and the tubes. My rough conceptualisation was realised when I read Bob's post. This concept looks as if it might work well in these circumstances, which makes me think that I would try what has already been developed, rather than make a DIY version.
I look forward to hearing from people who have tried this device in real life.

Best wishes

Bill 

lfranklin1864
Jun 11, 2024 3:59 pm
Reply to w30bob

The downside of this, I think, is that it seems more designed for smaller leg bags on each side. I'm not sure how it would work with a urostomy and a regular leg bag that holds 1000 ml.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
lfranklin1864
Jun 11, 2024 4:00 pm
Reply to Kas

Thank you

w30bob
Jun 11, 2024 4:05 pm

Hi lf,

Sorry, I didn't read the specifics on that one... but this one claims to hold a 2000ml bag. Not sure if they mean 1000ml on each side or really one two-liter bag. But with a shirt covering the top, I think this might be an option for you. Maybe.

:O)

https://www.amazon.com/YOHEYMA-Nephrostomy-Catheter-Underwear-Drainage/dp/B0CR6PRDRJ

lori.d1439
Aug 10, 2024 6:25 am
Reply to lfranklin1864

My drainage bedside bag gets heavy when it's half full. It starts sliding down my leg. It's aggravating. The small leg bag had to be drained like every 30 minutes. It's uncomfortable.