My very first blog entry...

Replies
Views
narrator
Mar 31, 2010 10:20 am
As for me, I have had an ileostomy for - has it really been 25 years? I will have to double check that. Familial Polyposis - so I was never sick for a day, but rather it was preventative, as I would have developed cancer by age 35 without the surgery. I got involved with local chapter of United Ostomy Association from the start - edited the news letter for 23 years before I retired from it last year. I still send out a meeting notice because - naturally nobody else took over the newsletter. Those are usually jobs for life. I also maintain the chapter's website.

Life is interesting, isn't it? Last week I was dealing with my mom being in the hospital and working with my siblings arranging for her to be moved to a rehab facility. Difficult time for us, but also enjoyable getting together despite the reason. At 81 years old and with breathing difficulties, it is possible our mom can't live alone again, so what comes after rehab? Hmm...

But life sort of returned to normal, with that sword ony swinging above our heads for a while, and this weekend my wife and I are tking our first trip to New York City. We have driven byh on our way to somewhere else many times, but this time we are staying in a hotel on the upper west side and taking a rather extensive 5 hour tour of the city. Looking forward to it. Going by Greyhound. More on that later...

Speaking of traveling, we flew to Florida for my birthday a few weeks ago (when you live in Maine, a MArch birthday in Florida appeals). We have a mobile home there in a 55 and over park. I'm not over 55 yet, but we bought it for my mother in law and she had to move out. So in a year I can legally live there! Anyway, I was a little concerned about flying due to the heightened security after the Christmas incident, but it all went great actually. I didn't have to whip out or explain my ostomy pouch or anything. If you don't set off the scanner, you just pass through as normal.

We are going back to Florida in late September, but driving that time because we want to bring a couple of bicycles and other stuff with us. I like driving there, though obviously it is a loooong drive. In winter we can watch the changing of the seasons as we move south, plus we stop and visit my wife's sister and our niece in Virginia on the way down. Cheaper too, by the time you factor in a rental car and airplane ticket vs. gas and hotel.

Well, that is enough for right now... more soon. Sorry about the picture, can only get a black box to load. Have an e-mail in to the site about it. Really I am much brighter than I look (grin).
Past Member
Mar 31, 2010 2:24 pm
It's nice to see another member on here with FAP.
panther
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

ZaliBee
May 23, 2018 5:42 am
We FAP'ers are a rare occurrence on this site.